Pcie x1 sound card in Pcie x4 slot?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello guys, i'm having a bit of trouble with my Sound Blaster Xfi Fatal1ty titanium, the issue is as follows:

There's a huge heat sink that prevents the card fitting properly into the single pcie x1 slot on my board, so what i rly would like to know is if it is possible to have it working on a pcie x4, risk free ofc. I've done a few searches on this forum and i've read it is possible but i rly want to be sure before doing anything. Another doubt i have is if i need to make any changes on my bios cuz i'm not sure if pcie x1 and pcie x4 slots work on the same power specs.

Thx to all in advance

If the card performs in a PCIe x4 slot, it should be ok... I don't think you will damage anything

Yes DarkLance,
looking at a diagram of the various PCIe connectors, I am almost 99% sure the sound card will work in a PCIe x4 slot

I'd like to second Tmagic -- It'll work.

PCI-e x4 has 4 lanes. Since your card only has PCI-e x1 (one lane), your card will use lane 1 and ignore the other 3. It will be fully backwards compatible. :)

Thx to all of u guys

I built my new rig and my SB card is working smoothly on a pcie x4 slot, too bad my graphics card blocked 4 of my 6 internal sata connectors :p

U guys rule! thx a lot for your replies.

If you take your time, you can probably use those blocked SATA connectors by installing the SATA cables before you install the video card. The SATA cables can be carefully bent under the end of the video card if needed. I had to do this with my old Gigabyte motherboard and my 9600GT video card. My Abit board has 8 SATA connectors on the edge of the motherboard. They point out from the edge not up

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back