Pentium 4 Heatsink On e7400?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello everyone,

I just purchased a new mobo and cpu (e7400) to upgrade my p4 3ghz. i have noticed the cooler that comes with the 7400 is well...small. i was wondering if i could use the bigger p4 heatsink to cool it as i don't feel like shelling out the money for an aftermarket cooler and maybe having to worry about fitment issues?

thanks in advance

The E7400 consumes less power and runs cooler than the Pentium 4 CPUs, so it doesn't need as much cooling. The new stock heatsink is perfectly fine, and you can probably even overclock it a little if you have good airflow in your case.

But to answer your query, yes, you can use the older HSF if you want, and it probably will cool better than the new one.

If your P4 uses the same socket (LGA775?), then as Rage mentioned, sure, with all the benefits he mentioned.

If it uses the old socket, I doubt it would be possible to put it on.

A Testimonial......

I recently did just such "surgery" on an E2200 Pentium Dual Core. The replacement Heatsink was from a Celeron 356 (Cedar Mill 3.33 Ghz) 86 Watts TDP.

I fact, you can even snap the newer fan into the grooves of the older heatsink.

Did this make an improvement you ask? How the **** should I know, it didn't run hot to begin with. :rolleyes:

Although in hindsight, it did offer an excuse to use some Arctic Silver I had laying around.

I thought some of the older P4 HSFs had copper where they contacted the CPU. Not really sure

ok so some new events happend and i ended up getting a different heatsink from a pentium d computer. it was from a compaq and has a back plate with screws :D no crappy pushpins. it is also copper core aluminum fin design and heavy as hell. ill post some temps later. also i can make it scream the fan will spin 3500 rpm IIRC. should be good overclocker

The old Pentium Ds had a TDP of up to 135 Watts, (for the Extreme Edition), so that might be a cooler "solution" than the HSF supplied with the later CPU.

As to a "3500 RPM" fan speed, that might get a tad annoying after a bit.

Believe it or not, my Emachines T-5026 has a P-4 with a bolt on HSF. The diameter of the fan is also increased from the 80mm stock to 92mm. It's a part designed by Cooler Master. Works pretty good. but P-4 Prescotts always run a tad hot anyway.

ok here is the temps for those interested

with a conservative fan speed of 2700 (set by mobo as temp rises) its priming for about 20 min and it gets to 43 degrees C max at idle its sitting 26-27C this is with AS5 Thermal paste that is not yet cured. i think its not bad what do u guys think

Hmm... A copper block isn't really my idea of a good use of copper..... any newer heatpipe solution would perform better, albeit you'd have to actually spend money.

I still remember my first copper block..... cooled my P4 so darned well I didn't mind lugging the case around to LAN parties even though it probably weighed more than a 24" CRT. Not that I know how much a 24" CRT weighed XD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back