People aren't loving Apple's new scratch-prone FineWoven iPhone cases

midian182

Staff member
Cutting corners: As part of a push to make its products more sustainable, Apple is no longer selling leather accessories such as iPhone cases and Apple Watch bands. As a replacement, it's introduced FineWoven, a material made from "durable" micro-twill that is supposed to feel like soft suede. That might sound good, but according to many reviewers, it's not.

Apple says that FineWoven was designed with the Earth in mind; it's made from 68% post-consumer recycled content and significantly reduces carbon emissions compared to leather. Going green is commendable, but it seems people don't love the FineWoven products.

YouTube channel MobileReviewsEh notes that Apple places memory foam behind the iPhone 15 FineWoven case to make it thicker. There are also complaints that the fabric scratches very easily, especially compared to the leather cases, which will make it look "terrible" over time. Pet owners should also be aware that the material seems to attract dog hair (and probably cat hair) like a magnet.

The FineWoven products aren't exactly cheap, either: $59 for the phone cases, $35 for an AirTag holder, and $99 for one of the watch bands.

The Verge's Allison Johnson was equally unimpressed. The reporter noted that the FineWoven MagSafe wallet was showing wear along the edges straight out of the box, and that lint immediately caught on the fabric. Concerns over permanent scratches and having the cover in the same pocket as car keys were also raised.

T3's Carrie Marshall writes that the FineWoven iPhone 15 case feels less like suede and more like fine felt or faux-velvet found in cheap jewelry boxes – not unpleasant, but far from premium. The conclusion was that the case is "okay," which is an improvement over some other opinions.

Apple does include a disclaimer warning about the potential long-term condition of the FineWoven iPhone 15 case. The company states that "The FineWoven material may show wear over time. Interaction with MagSafe accessories will leave slight imprints." This is despite the repeated use of the word "durable" on the product page. Apple says if this sort of thing is a concern, it suggests you use an iPhone 15 Plus Silicone Case or Clear Case instead.

Permalink to story.

"Apple says if this sort of thing is a concern, it suggests you use an iPhone 15 Plus Silicone Case or Clear Case instead."

So Apple has moved way from "you are holding it wrong" to "you should buy a better product". At least they've said it. It's too bad they didn't say it before they sold a garbage phone case to a bunch of people.

They should die of shame every time they mention susteinability. A company that makes their products near impossible to repair resulting in mountains of electronics waste boasts of their sutainable cases...
I'm pretty sure mother nature wouldn't like that.

Or don't use a case. Doesn't it bother people that they keep buying a product that's essentially incomplete right out of the box if they consider a case necessary?

They should die of shame every time they mention susteinability. A company that makes their products near impossible to repair resulting in mountains of electronics waste boasts of their sutainable cases...
Actually, Apple has made great strides in repairability. They just don't want third party repair shops making the repairs. I'd say Android phones produce more e-waste than Apple phones for the simple reason that Apple, for the most part, supports their phones with updates longer than most Android phone manufacturers (Samsung may be an exception). The Android phones I've had over the years got maybe 1 or 2 updates and then it was on to the new model.

Actually, Apple has made great strides in repairability. They just don't want third party repair shops making the repairs. I'd say Android phones produce more e-waste than Apple phones for the simple reason that Apple, for the most part, supports their phones with updates longer than most Android phone manufacturers (Samsung may be an exception). The Android phones I've had over the years got maybe 1 or 2 updates and then it was on to the new model.
You meant cheap then. Expensive devices last much longer and are kept being used even without updates.
People should seriously consider stop being poor before we all sink in waste we create.

Or don't use a case. Doesn't it bother people that they keep buying a product that's essentially incomplete right out of the box if they consider a case necessary?
Not really? I don't expect my car manufacturer to make every accessory for my car or basically any other product category. Besides, the Apple first-party cases suck (see above).

Forget the phone case, ultimately mother nature is asking why are you stealing it's resources to make a phone! Shame on environmentalist who own a phone, car or house. You're all hypocrites!

Forget the phone case, ultimately mother nature is asking why are you stealing it's resources to make a phone! Shame on environmentalist who own a phone, car or house. You're all hypocrites!

Funny how the ones that preach have 3-4 mansions one in Martha's Vineyard and use their yachts all year round and just buy up land like it's pennies.....

Back