Picking the right graphics card

Will the "EVGA GeForce GT 730 2GB GDDR5 64bit" work?

• Total voters
I need help picking out the right graphics card that I want/need/ I have a Dell OptiPlex 745, the small-skinny one and I am really looking to stay within or under $100 but I want one that will run some decent FPS games smoothly, not hard FPS games like Skyrim and COD. I have a 2.4 processor, 4Gb Ram and 200Gb hard drive. Please help. :)

The motherboard you have has a PCI Express 1.0a slot. You will have to find a video card that will work in that slot, because not all Graphics cards will just plug in and play. Not all PCI Express 2.0/2.1/3.0 cards will work with the PCI Express 1.0a slot.

Also, you need to look at your PSU (Power Supply) and determine if you have one that will be able to power the additional Graphics card. The highest wattage one that is included with the Dell OptiPlex 745 is a 305 watt capacity (and the lowest is 220 watts). The specs for the EVGA GeForce GT 730 (this is right from the EVGA Website) states:
  • 300 Watt or greater power supply with a minimum of 20 Amp on the +12 volt rail.****
  • PCI Express, PCI Express 2.0 or PCI Express 3.0 compliant motherboard with one graphics slot.
  • Windows 8 32/64bit, Windows 7 32/64bit, Windows Vista 32/64bit, Windows XP 32/64bit
Don't like giving bad news, but I would say no this will not work. I would not actually try to upgrade this computer, because you will run into limitations quickly on what you can do. If you are insistent on getting better graphics, I would look at older graphics cards that are low profile and do not require too much wattage to run.

Back