Playing DVDs on HP Compaq DC5850 Microtower PC

Ok, first let me go ahead and apologize if this is the wrong place to post this question. I looked at the tech support forums below but they didn't seem to be what I was looking for.

Basically, I have the above mentioned PC and I wanted to see if my comp would play DVDs. I put in a random DVD and the drive recognizes the DVD and the title BUT it won't play the movie or audio. I've tried playing it with VLC and it won't let me open it with any other players. I am currently running Windows 8.1. Do I need to install drivers or go into the BIOS at the beginning and change something? Here is what it looks like:

Pic #1: Open WE and see that the DVD drive sees the title of the movie and right click to open it/play it.
Pic #2: This is what it looks like when I double click the drive and open it.
Pic #3: This is what it looks like when I double click THAT folder and then it just shows continuous media clips in forms of like 5-10 seconds each. It just won't play the DVD as a movie.

Things I've already tried:
#1: Tried opening it with AutoPlay annnd it's gone
#2: I've turned off booting from the floppy drive and instead have the comp booting from the hard drive
#3: Played a few of the media clips but it will either show nothing playing for 5 seconds or a single image....

Weird I know. Anyways, help would be greatly appreciated. I realize this is a tech support issue but my warranty has been gone since 2012 so even HP chat won't talk to me. Thanks guys.

Attachments

• hpissue1.png
    hpissue1.png
    76 KB · Views: 3
  • hpissue2.png
    hpissue2.png
    30.5 KB · Views: 2
  • hpissue3.png
    hpissue3.png
    87.2 KB · Views: 2
You may have made the wrong choice of DVD. Frozen is a Disney title and their films are well known for copyright protection. Unless it's a legit copy you've no chance. Try another non Disney DVD and see if it plays. Assuming Frozen is a genuine Disney DVD read on.

I have Windows 8.1 but it's on a netbook so I can't replicate your situation. Instead, I stuck Brave, also by Disney, into the DVD drive on my Windows 7 laptop and opened it in My Computer to show all the files as per your screenshots for Frozen. The film doesn't like this and I couldn't get it to play by clicking on the files. However, I opened VLC Player first then clicked on Media (top left) Open Disc and then Play. It took a while to kick in but the screen opened for options like the language and then it played fine.

Back