PlayStation Store to discontinue movie and TV purchases and rentals this summer

Shawn Knight

Staff member
The big picture: The shift in consumer behavior shouldn’t come as much of a surprise. Content creators and distributors have hopped aboard the streaming bandwagon en masse, with services like Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Prime Video, Disney+ and Peacock offering huge digital libraries that can be viewed across a variety of devices in exchange for a reasonable monthly fee.

Sony Interactive Entertainment (SIE) will no longer offer movie and TV purchases and rentals via the PlayStation Store as of August 31, 2021.

In a blog post explaining the decision, the head of SIE’s video business, Vanessa Lee, said they’ve seen tremendous growth from PlayStation fans using subscription- and ad-based entertainment streaming services on their consoles.

Similar trends are also being observed in the music industry. According to RIAA’s 2020 year-end report, the overwhelming majority of US music industry revenues – 83 percent – came from streaming. Digital downloads, like those that Sony will be ending this summer, accounted for just six percent of music industry revenue last year. Even physical content such as CDs and vinyl did better, capturing nine percent of the pie.

Sony notes that when the PlayStation Store changes take effect, users will still have access to movie and TV content they have previously purchased.

Images courtesy Nikolay_E, Vantage_DS

Permalink to story.

Digital content purchases make no sense for the consumer. Given the terms you agree to, they are effectively just digital rentals with an indefinite period; eventually, it is no longer yours to freely access.

Digital streaming, at least you get access to everything in the catalog if that is your thing.

Digital content purchases make no sense for the consumer. Given the terms you agree to, they are effectively just digital rentals with an indefinite period; eventually, it is no longer yours to freely access.

Digital streaming, at least you get access to everything in the catalog if that is your thing.

Digital Purchases make sense in terms of portability. But digital tends to be a worse deal 90% of the time, especially when it comes to aged content. In that regard I'd rent over purchases 99% of the time, as I'm not likely to rewatch. But something for the kids being digital and right there is by far better. Luckily streaming services do a pretty good job offering good enough content.

IMO Physical Media is on the way out. DVDs/Blurays take up room and are cumbersome, If I get something on Disc It gets ripped onto my Plex Server and I never see the disc again.

Sony's Problem is their platform isn't very universal. Which is why if you are going to Rent or Purchases Digital Media like a Movie. You're better off using Amazon.

I personally end up renting something off Amazon once every few months. When there is something you really want to watch on the spot and don't have it, a $3-6 rental fee is nothing. It starts instantly. Pretty much as consumer friendly as it gets.

Digital Purchases make sense in terms of portability.

I can't say I agree in the age of transcoding (you are allowed to make a digital copy for yourself) and cheap flash and NAND memory. I do think things like Blu-ray might be on the way out, but I doubt you'll ever see physical media disappear completely. If flash gets just a little bit cheaper per-GB, I can see Hollywood making the switch.

I can't say I agree in the age of transcoding (you are allowed to make a digital copy for yourself) and cheap flash and NAND memory. I do think things like Blu-ray might be on the way out, but I doubt you'll ever see physical media disappear completely. If flash gets just a little bit cheaper per-GB, I can see Hollywood making the switch.

Convenience is King. It rare to find someone willing to rip a bluray, Hell it rare to fine a PC in general with a Disc Drive. In the rare occasion I do ripe a Bluray, I'm forced to pull out my old HTPC Machine that has one it in. If it wasn't for the Xbox/Playstation still having disc drives many families wouldnt even have a BluRay Player.

The FireTV Stick Lineup and the Android TV on my Sony TV have pretty much become the only way I use my TV. And This really has become common place with people of my age(30yo). Cable is pretty much dead for younger generations, we grew up with it and despise it. Old Generations Cable is still a step up from what they grew up with and the idea of picking your own content is blasphemy.

Physical Media has been dead for years now. Its a niche part of the market and doesn't bring in the money it once did. Physical Video Media is doing better than Music ATM, but it too will soon only account for 3-5% of total income for the video industry. While Digital Rentals, Digital Sales, and Streaming Services will make up for over 90% of the movie/tv show industry.

Cable is already on the way out too. Honestly surprised its has held up this long, boomers really keeping cable companies afloat. Can't remember the last time anything good was only on cable. Really the biggest hold out for young people for cable is sports. Streaming Services still have yet to 100% get all sports in a single place.

Back