Please help with video recording from digital cable

riverwind

Hello,

I have a pretty weak Dell E310 (specs that I have hooked up to my 42" LG HDTV as a monitor and I use it for watching hulu, you tube, videos etc..
I am working with Windows XP 32-bit.

I realize it's not the best setup, but I've been making do with it for my "media center". I also have Time Warner Digital cable service that runs to my TV via HDMI.

I am looking to find a way to record shows from the cable box onto my PC for later viewing and I'm not sure how to approach or if I have a good enough system to attempt.. I also have a MSI Core 2 Duo P7350(2.00GHz) 16" Wide XGA 4GB Memory DDR2 800 320GB HDD DVD Super Multi ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4670 that could be used as well..

I've been looking at a couple of PCI x1 DVR recorder cards from newegg.. In specific, I've been looking at this AVerMedia card and this Hauppauge WinTV HVR-1250 card , but I'm not sure if my system is stout enough to run either of these cards or if they will serve my purpose.

I would be willing to use my laptop if this was a better possibility as well.. I'm not completely concerned with HD capabilities, but would really like to record shows, etc while I'm away and don't want to have to pay the monthly service to Time Warner for their DVR recorder services.

Could anyone please provide any insight on how to approach or what is my most manageable option to work with using the systems I have?

Thanks in advance!

Back