PNY GeForce 8400GS PCI 512MB Card

Status
Not open for further replies.

steve45377

Hello. I have been looking online and researching for a while now, and was very close to buying the GeForce 6200OC. Just now I found the GeForce 8400GS in PCI slot form, with 512mb.

Staples: GeForce 8400GS [ Can't do "hot link", under 5 posts. :eek: ]
staples.com/office/supplies/p1__233569_Business_Supplies_10051_SEARCH

I have two questions I would like to ask, first off is this card real? And if so where can i find the specs, suchs as: core clock, memory clock, memory interface, and RAMDAC's speed, and if it will run on WinXP? Seco )nd, if this card is real, are there any other newer/faster cards out in PCI form? I would like to stay with GeForce if possible, ive had good luck with them so far. Thanks for any help anyone can provide.

-Steven

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOH SH**

I am buying it in 2 fu**king weeks. OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMG

THANKS

LoL, If I can find out any info on this card, I plan on calling Staple's tomorrow to see if they have any in one of the 2 stores near me. If they do, ill be picking it up. I still have the GeForce 5200. It made Doom 3 "playable" for me. But this card would be the crap. Any one know where I can find the tech info on this card? Oh, and something I forgot in my first post, I need to know if it has a VGA plugin, since thats what i use >_>. Thanks again to any one that can help.

Alright i am calm down a bit. I have the Geforce 6200 OC PCI card, its a great card and its been very good to me and with my games. The 8400GS even tho low end, will still be a better choice, it has DirectX10 and NVidia drivers are amazing and plus the 8400GS is really the best PCI card out within the united states.

The 8500GT and 8600GT and 8400GS from albartron and sparkle are good too, but they are not in the united states right now. So i say called them and buy it, but make sure you do some seriously testing, that way if the card doesn't perform well you can just take it back.

But my guess the card will perform well. I am using this crap visiontek 2400 HD pci card, unstable, plays games ok, but still can't play my other games. So i will be buying this card very soon.

Thanks again man, and it seems like PCI gaming is still alive :)

Btw whats your specs?

HP Pavilion a1000y [CTO]

GeForce FX 5200 256mb DDR
2.8ghz Celeron D
2 GB RAM
160 GB Hard Drive.
DVD-RW +/- [with LightScribe]

Let me know if there's anything else you wanna know. I'm going to college for Networking Technologies. So if i can't find out my computers specs then ill have some issues with my job prospects in 2 years >_> lol

Just picked up the card from the store today. Here are the specifications & key features.

----------------------------------------------
NVIDIA GeForce 8400 GS [PCI]
----------------------------------------------
SPECIFICATIONS:
- 567 MHz Core Clock
- 512MB DDR2 Memory
- 64-bit Memory Interface
- 667 MHz Memory Data Rate (effective)
- DVI-I + VGA outputs supported
- S-Video output
- HDCP Capable
- Dual 400 MHz RAMDACTs

KEY FEATURES:

- NVIDIA unified architecture with igaThread technology
- Full Microsoft DirextX 10 Shader Model 4.0 Support
- NVIDIA TurboCache Technology
- 16x full-screen anti-aliasing
- True 128-bit floating point high dynamic-range (HDR) lighting
- NVIDIA Quantum Effects physics processing technology
- One dual-link DVI output to support one 2560x1600 resolution display (at 60 Hz)
- NVIDIA PureVideo HD Technology
- PCI support
- OpenGL 2.0 support
- NVIDIA ForceWare Unified Driver Architecture (UDA)
- Built for Microsoft Windows Vista

I plan to pick it up soon to. Btw those specs are great, only flaw is the 64bit bus, but the 512MB makes up for it in my opinion.

Download the Crysis demo and let me know how it runs, i am curious :)

The Crysis Demo was only playable on Low settings for everything. I don't think the cards at fault though. Since my system as a whole is almost 3 years old. A 2.8ghz Celeron D and PC2700 DDR 333MHz RAM probably won't cut it. And sure I'll do the GPU-Z thing. I'll have screen shots in a moment. I actually have CPU-Z already, so I'd be happy to get GPU-Z.

GPU-Z Screen Shot
1.gif

WOW, thats interesting. Only flaw is the 64bit bus, but the 512Video Memory kinda makes up for it. Great card, can't wait to buy it. Thanks for posting :)

Have you tested any games?

I can't find any information on the card. I have been looking for about 2 days, not even their website has it listed. Weird, but hey good news for us pci gamers lol.
peace

I have used it on a few games so far. Doom3, Hellgate: London, Call of Duty 2, Unreal 2004. I didn't notice any difference in Unreal 2004, since i was already running it on max settings with my FX5200. I did notice that in Call of Duty 2 it actually runs in DirectX9 and doesn't crash, had to run it in DirextX7 before. The big thing I noticed is opening Doom3 and telling it to optimize and it setting it to Ultra High with all special effects on except Shadows & AA. I didn't want shadows, find them a waste of performance & fps. But I did put on AAx2 and its running at around 20-25 fps average, though I haven't played much. Its also looks good in Hellgate: London, I'm still tweaking the settings in that though.

PS: Ya, I also noticed they didn't have any information on the card on there site (Staples), I just figured it was PCI so the chances of it not working on WinXP were pretty slim. So I tested my luck and went out to get it. I also figured it would be better then the GeForce 6200OC which I was looking at at Walmart. That card was a 128-bit, but it was only 256mb DDR, with a Core clock of 350mhz and a Memory clock of 410mhz. I figured that up from 256mb DDR to 512mb DDR2, the up in Core clock from 350mhz to 567mhz, and the up in Memory clock from 410mhz to 667mhz would more then make up for the 64-bit interface.

Sparkle 8500 GT had better specs as I recall. 64 bit memory interface is a real killer. I think jives11 had a screen shot of his 8500 GPU-Z stats in the "So you only have PCI slots and still want to game?" thread.

Well the 8500GT and 8600GT is more faster, however this PNY card is great, because for us living in the United States, we are now able to buy a 8 series card. Infact, the PNY 512MB 8400gs is the only 8 series PCI card.

Would of been nice to have a 128bit bus , but the 512MB makes up for it.

Has anyone attempted to overclock this card? I have a feeling that it will overclock pretty well. It was probably downclocked quite a bit under the assumption that it was made for older PC's with low-end power and cooling.

SPECIFICATIONS: AFTER OVERCLOCK
- 630 MHz Core Clock

- 710 MHz Memory Data Rate

- Dual 468 MHz RAMDACTs

runs fine but does get quite hot, i would suggest picking up a gpu cooler from staples $14.95
PC specs:
dual boot, xp pro service pack 3
vista ultimate sp1
intell pentium 4 3.06 ghz
1.5 gb pc3200 ddr ram 400mhz
soundblaster xfi sound card
500gb maxtor hardrive

Game compatibility:
Fable lost chapters: full settings
Bioshock: medium settings 600x800
FEAR: medium settings 600x800
painkiller(all 3): full settings
Oblivion: low settings 600x800
Bad Day LA: full settings
comand and conquor generals: high settings
c&c 3: medium settings
Doom 3: ultra high settings
Roller coaster tycoon 3: ultra settings
Crysis: good luck

for a pci card it is great. wish it was a higher end 8 series but its awsome
out preforms my old ati x1300 256 and geforce fx5500.

not a very good choice for vista running dx10
still had experience index of 3.9 areo graphics being the lowest
the dream scenes in vista ultimate run very well on this card

the 64 bit interface is the only bad part i think great card for pci only gamers, though it wont work miracles most games will work and look good with great framerates. has anyone else tried any other games out on this card yet?

I should have my card in 2 days , well Thursday night :)
I don't plan to overclocked it tho.

You should be able to play Fear at 1280x1024 everything on medium to high. Because i can play Fear with my rig and using 1024x768 everything to medium to high and get 27-43fps.

i just bought this card but now i have a new system, got it last night. so i now have a pci only system for sale with this pny 8400 gs card installed 2 gb ram lightscribe and more pm me if interested.
but no doubt this 8400 gs card is the best pci card that i have ever used.

Can someone help me, i just install this card, but now i have no sound, the sound device seem to have disappeared.

I tried installing it , but nothing.

8400GS is a waste of money when that same money can go towards a 8500GT which you can purchase right now. 8500GT is the only card you should get, even if you have to order it from overseas like I did. I never want any PCI card with 64-bit bandwidth, the PCI slot type is slow enough as it is! Don't mean to rain on Legendary's parade but you can do better. (His name is Legendary in other threads I Google search.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back