PNY / Nvidia GT 240. Should I buy It?

captaincranky

Newegg has a PNY GT 240 on sale for $65.00 until midnight today. (+$20.00 MIR & + free shipping)

I would be tentatively buying this for a core I3-530 system, with Windows 7 Pro 64 bit. How is this card, but more importantly, how are the current Nvidia drivers for Win 7 64 bit...?

If you like the GT 240, I would go ahead and get it. I consider PNY a good brand. I have two myself, a GTX 260 and a GTX 295 (both PNY).

I can't say anything about the drivers, however, as mine are installed in Windows XP machines. With XP 32 bit the last two drivers caused a settings retention issue in one of my PCs. That doesn't mean there is any problem with W7 drivers. I just don't happen to know.

I've installed a few GT 240's onto WIn7 (mostly x64). No problems. I set up my father's Win7 HTPC/Win 7 x64 about four months ago and he hasn't reported any problems.....and it's a certainty that he would if there were any- just use the nvidia Forceware driver and you're away. The only feature not on the card is lossless bitstreaming audio- for that you would need either an AMD HD5xxx card (the feature seems to have some ongoing problems with some hardware fit-outs and drivers aren't 100%) or a GTX 460 -which is probably somewhat overpowered for you're intended use...although a quick session of Left 4 Dead might be good training for a neighbourhood stroll in some areas.

.although a quick session of Left 4 Dead might be good training for a neighbourhood stroll in some areas.
Point taken! Now, here's my question; "do you have spell check turned on in Firefox"? The reason I ask is I always accidentally try to use traditional British spellings on occasion, IE "colour", and I get red lines all over the place. FF seems a bit "intolerant" with respect to the spelling traditions of cultures other than those of "the colonies".

As I sit here flipping a coin with about 40 minutes left on this sale, I'm ruminating over the irony that, after some investigation, my Gigabyte H-55 board's onboard graphics have better connectivity than a GT-240 card for my compliment of monitors. This because the new HP only has "Display Port", but no HDMI. The Gigabyte has both, plus VGA, and DVI. Without a lengthy explanation, dual DVI ports would be "way more gooder". (as on my old 9500GT)

As to the HP ZR24w, suffice it to say that it is well worth 400 bucks to have skin look like skin, and from all angles, no less. I can't speak to the gaming ability, as IPS is a bit slower than TN in response time. I suppose that's fair, TN panels should have to be able to do one thing right to even justify their existence. I should write a review, or PM me if you have questions.

Is it Winter down there? God that would feel good right about now. It was still 86 F at 11:00 PM...!

Gotta jet, to scour the house for something to mitigate my massive Coca-Cola overdose.

Nah, we always bin good spellers an dont needno spelchekka, an the reegonal thang in Win Doe's 7 helps out all them that cant do it proply.

Pass on the GT240 if in doubt. I would hazard a guess that it won't be the last SPECIAL OFFER!!!!!!! run on a card.

I will check out the ZR24w...."skin looks like skin" is probably the most concise review I've seen...and possibly the most pertinent. The only other player in the ballpark here is the ex-business HP LP2475W 's for about the same price but with some miles on the clock.

Aye, Winter. Although that's a relative term around this area as I'm about a quarter mile from the Pacific Ocean, so low 30's (°F) overnight for about a month qualifies.

On another note mailpup.

I'm deciding now if I want to sli my 295. So I need to ask. Are you getting rid of yours? Is it dual pcb or single. I need single. May just grab a 5970 if I cant find the 295 at a decent price.

No, sorry, I'm not getting rid of mine. It is a single PCB though. They do seem to be hard to find. Not made anymore I suppose. You can find them on Ebay because I just looked but whether the prices are decent is up to you.

Back