Nvidia prices GeForce RTX 4070 Ti graphics card at $799

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Nvidia on Tuesday officially rounded out its RTX 40 series GPU family with the introduction of the GeForce RTX 4070 Ti. Nvidia's Ada Lovelace launch snafu has been well documented, but for those living under a rock for the last three and a half months, here's a quick recap: in mid-September, Nvidia announced three new RTX 40 series graphics cards – the flagship RTX 4090 and a pair of RTX 4080 GPUs.

The RTX 4080 was to be offered in two variants – one with 9,728 CUDA cores and 16GB of GDDR6X memory and a lower-tiered spec featuring 7,680 CUDA cores alongside 12GB of Micron GDDR6X memory – and launch in the middle of October starting at $1,199 and $899, respectively.

Public outcry regarding the lower-spec card prompted a rethink from Nvidia, and in November the company "unlaunched" the 12GB RTX 4080 before it was ever released because it "wasn't named right." That brings us to today and the formal introduction of the RTX 4070 Ti.

According to Nvidia's product page, the RTX 4070 Ti is faster than the GeForce RTX 3090 Ti at nearly half the power. It will "max out your 1440p monitor" with frame rates north of 120 FPS in modern titles like Warhammer 40,000: Darktide and A Plague Tale: Requiem

The card packs 7,680 CUDA cores and has 12GB of GDDR6X memory with a base clock of 2.31GHz and a boost clock of 2.61GHz. It also boasts a 192-bit memory interface. On average, you can expect the card to draw around 226W of power.

No surprises here – it's simply a rebranded RTX 4080 12GB.

What has changed is the cost – it now starts at $799. It'll be available starting January 5 from manufacturing partners including Asus, Gainward, Gigabyte, MSI, Palit, PNY and Zotac, among others. It's unclear what retail availability will look like but given how much extra time Nvidia has had to prep the card, we can only hope there will be sufficient inventory to meet initial demand.

Permalink to story.

Good luck to nVidia trying to sell these overpriced cards. The entire current generation stack pricing is almost comical. They think they can push these cards at prices as high or higher than prices during the pandemic card shortages, but they're in for a rude awakening. Better cancel more chip orders from TSMC, because these cards will be collecting dust on warehouse shelves.

I'm sure some people will disagree with me, but most reasonable people with common sense will not touch these cards. Personally, I wouldn't buy this particular card even at $599, let alone $799.

I know that there are people who spend any amount of cash on a gpu but all this does for me is make me want to wait for next years cards. Honestly this year has been totally uninteresting.

So it is only $800 after all. Lots of people with egg on their faces, then!

The performance of cards should be pretty good if they are really 3090Ti beaters. Let’s see how well they do in stuff that matters like 4K and RT vs RDOA3.

799 looks like the right price for this card (when compared to AMD 7900XT which is priced at 899 dollars)

It will not be far behind in rasterization when compared to 7900XT but also has more features (like DLSS) and better RT performance.

I miss the days when we could get a good card for about $350 or less.
To me if you're going to get bent over you might as well make it worth it, take it like a man and go for 4090. It's about the only card that's really all that impressive out of the new bunch imo.

giphy.gif

So it is only $800 after all. Lots of people with egg on their faces, then!

The performance of cards should be pretty good if they are really 3090Ti beaters. Let’s see how well they do in stuff that matters like 4K and RT vs RDOA3.

Celebrating an x70 class card for "only $800"? You have been properly conditioned by Nvidia.

4 generations' pricing progress:
$450 - $500 - $600 - $800

I look forward to your adulation of the $1200 5070 Ti in 2 years' time.

We'll see what it is like in June when I upgrade at least my CPU. Right now prices and performance on the 4090/4080, 7900XT/XTX don't wow me at those prices. I'm not all that thrilled with the 4070 at that price either. I'll wait for the reviews and benchmarks. More then likely, I will just stick with my 2080.

We'll see what it is like in June when I upgrade at least my CPU. Right now prices and performance on the 4090/4080, 7900XT/XTX don't wow me at those prices. I'm not all that thrilled with the 4070 at that price either. I'll wait for the reviews and benchmarks. More then likely, I will just stick with my 2080.
I have a prediction for you. It is very possible that there will be plenty of various GPUs to choose from, But there might not be more desirable models or brands. If you wanted a specific version of a card, I would get it as soon as they put it out.
Celebrating an x70 class card for "only $800"? You have been properly conditioned by Nvidia.

4 generations' pricing progress:
$450 - $500 - $600 - $800

I look forward to your adulation of the $1200 5070 Ti in 2 years' time.
Well, the power usage will be lower, and card size just a bit bigger. Good deal...

Back