Police chase down a speeding Tesla that appeared empty

midian182

Staff member
WTF?! Police in the Canadian province of Alberta got a surprise when they chased down a speeding car that appeared to have nobody inside. It turned out that the Tesla was traveling down the highway with both driver and passenger asleep in their fully reclined seats.

The incident, which took place in July, came after highway officers received a call reporting a speeding Tesla Model S. When police approached the vehicle from behind, it was traveling at 140 kmh (87 mph), breaking the 110 kmh (68mph) limit. After the patrol car activated its emergency lights, the Tesla sped up to 150 kmh (93 mph).

"Nobody appeared to be in the car," RCMP Sgt. Darrin Turnbull told CBC News. He added that the reason it sped up when the police car's lights were activated was that vehicles ahead of the Tesla moved out of the way.

"Nobody appeared to be in the car, but the vehicle sped up because the line was clear in front," said Turnbull. "I've been in policing for over 23 years and the majority of that in traffic law enforcement, and I'm speechless. I've never, ever seen anything like this before, but of course the technology wasn't there."

The 20-year-old British Columbia man behind the wheel has been charged with speeding and issued a 24-hour license suspension for fatigue. He's also been charged with dangerous driving and served with a court summons for December.

We've seen several instances of Tesla vehicles moving down highways with drivers either asleep or sitting in the passenger seat. Tesla has repeatedly warned that its Autopilot feature isn't a fully autonomous system—it alerts drivers if it detects they're not holding the wheel with both hands. Should the warnings be ignored, the hazard lights are activated, and the vehicle automatically slows down and pulls over. But Turnbull notes that: "there are after-market things that can be done to a vehicle against the manufacturer's recommendations to change or circumvent the safety system."

Permalink to story.

Tesla has software checks to make sure that you are paying attention by forcing you to nudge the steering wheel every now and then.

I am amazed that this person was able to do this in a newer model. I personally like Cadillac’s system better in the CT6 because it watches your eyes using face recognition to ensure that you are paying attention - which is much harder to hack than the capacitive touch of the steering wheel or force sensors.

I can’t wait to the day when we actually have cars which can fully, safely and legally drive themselves with the driver asleep. I’m sure that many of us have experienced moments of driver exhaustion and there are many drivers who experience sleep apnea. I think it would be good if software was smart enough to pull the car over to the side of the road and shut it off so you could get a good nap.

Someday you’ll be able to sleep the entire ride home.

“ When police approached the vehicle from behind, it was traveling at 140 kmh (87 mph), breaking the 110 kmh (68mph) limit. After the patrol car activated its emergency lights, the Tesla sped up to 150 kmh (93 mph)”

My guess is that it wasn’t the “patrol lights” that triggered the Tesla but rather the police getting closer and closer to the back of the car which forced the car to accelerate because it was anticipating a rear end collision.

I wish I could get a system like that for my hellcat

I can’t wait to the day when we actually have cars which can fully, safely and legally drive themselves with the driver asleep. I’m sure that many of us have experienced moments of driver exhaustion and there are many drivers who experience sleep apnea. I think it would be good if software was smart enough to pull the car over to the side of the road and shut it off so you could get a good nap.

Someday you’ll be able to sleep the entire ride home.

Getting pissed and having your car pick you up from the pub? Yes f*cking please!

“ When police approached the vehicle from behind, it was traveling at 140 kmh (87 mph), breaking the 110 kmh (68mph) limit. After the patrol car activated its emergency lights, the Tesla sped up to 150 kmh (93 mph)”

My guess is that it wasn’t the “patrol lights” that triggered the Tesla but rather the police getting closer and closer to the back of the car which forced the car to accelerate because it was anticipating a rear end collision.

nope read the article

"Nobody appeared to be in the car," RCMP Sgt. Darrin Turnbull told CBC News. He added that the reason it sped up when the police car's lights were activated was that vehicles ahead of the Tesla moved out of the way.

"Nobody appeared to be in the car, but the vehicle sped up because the line was clear in front," said Turnbull.

Of course it's in Alberta! That's our redneck province! LOL

how many rednecks can afford a tesla?

What else is in Alberta? alot of Oil.

"I wish I could get a system like that for my hellcat"

Easy enough, all you need is a teenage son and Viola!

Like mentioned you can nudge the wheel and take auto pilot off, who the hell would think it wise to sleep. And it's not "if you drive safely and appropriately", it's if there is another *****, especially a texting while drivin Juggernut who plows into you from behind.

I don't see benefits to electric cars. Need some straight flat roads to conserve every bit of electricity, the mileage sucks. Same old rubber plastics glass that end up in a junkyard.
Plenty of better ways to make the world better. But this is 70k per househould.
It's just about the money. Nothing more.

Like mentioned you can nudge the wheel and take auto pilot off, who the hell would think it wise to sleep. And it's not "if you drive safely and appropriately", it's if there is another *****, especially a texting while drivin Juggernut who plows into you from behind.

I don't see benefits to electric cars. Need some straight flat roads to conserve every bit of electricity, the mileage sucks. Same old rubber plastics glass that end up in a junkyard.
Plenty of better ways to make the world better. But this is 70k per househould.
It's just about the money. Nothing more.

How many miles does your petrol car does on full tank? Less than Tesla on full battery I bet.

How many miles does your petrol car does on full tank? Less than Tesla on full battery I bet.

actually my Kia Spectra will go 518 miles highway or 390ish with mixed highway and city driving, tesla range is 370 miles, then recharge for 2 hours. I keep it at 65-70mph around 2200rpm of course because I don't need to hot rod and its a kia, and no im not speeding I live in Texas.

Nah, it was that the cars in front of the Tesla moved over once the police turn on their flashers. That cleared the road ahead for the Tesla to speed up.

It seems to me that these semi-autonomous driving systems must result in more than a few drivers being lazy and inattentive. How could anyone expect anything else?

lane departure warnings, auto breaking, etc. Hurry up and either scrap the whole idea or bring on Johnny Cab!

As for me, I prefer to drive myself. I do not want some AI deciding that my life is not as important as some other's. Besides that, its fun.

Back