Portable hard drive won't show up

Hey, I have a WD Portable 1TB Hardrive and it won't show up in windows or device manger, ive had it for about a year a few weeks ago I was unable to access one of the partitions and I was using and checking and fixing errors with CHKDSK and it froze half way through and now neither of the partitions will show, is there anything I can do?

Outside of trying it on a different computer, probably not. Is the drive spinning up when you plug it in?

Should run CHKDSK x: /F /R where x is the drive letter.

if it still fails, access the drive with the Disk Manager and inspect the partition status (healthy, NTFS vs FAT)

This PC your using what is it? Windows or Apple? Also if you have other USB HDD installed best not to have them installed when your using the WD USB HD. What a lot of issues is the USB can get corrupted after time with other devices that connect and disconnect. There is a free program called USBDVIEW. This is use as Run As Admin. What you're looking for is all the disconnected USB devices that you don' t use. What you do is that you would remove all the disconnected devices.

Be very careful not to remove your mouse and keyboard from the USB list. Once this is done reboot the system. Try connecting the WD USB HD back to the PC. If it still doesn't work right, you need to go into the Device Manager and remove USB Controllers and all of them. Windows will re-build them for you when you reboot.

If that still doesn't do it there is one more method you can try but see if you can do the above. First. Also one more thing WD USB HDD a lot of them have some sort of sticking issue. To fix that you can stick the drive into a zip lock freezer bag and then into a freezer for 3 hrs. Take it out and place in room temp for and then slowly connect the drive to the USB of PC. This time it will spin-up. I've tried this method and it always works.

Yes the Drive is Spinning when I plug it in, I am using a Windows 7 (64-bit), thanks for all the advice :) I'll be sure too try these methods soon

Back