Portal 2 delayed again, launching in April 2011

Jos

Staff

It looks like Portal fans will have to wait a little longer for the next installment of the first-person puzzle title. Originally slated for release in 2010, Valve has announced a second delay for Portal 2, this time bumping its debut from February 9 to April 20, 2011. According to the developer, “the two month slip not only marks the shortest delay in Valve's proud tradition of delays, it represents the approaching convergence of Valve Time and Real Time. Though this convergence spells doom for humanity, it will not affect the new Portal 2 release date.”

Well, at least they haven’t lost their sense of humor, though we imagine gamers will be less than thrilled about the news. The upcoming sequel takes place hundreds of years after the original game, with users revisiting the decaying labs of Aperture Science, facing GLaDOS once more, and thus beginning another journey of dodging turrets and escaping deathtraps. Besides polished graphics and a new co-op mode, Portal 2 features new gameplay elements including tractor beams, paint-like gels and more. The game will be available for PC, Macs, PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360.

Permalink to story.

Well I hope nobody hits that facebook like button becuase this sucks! I hope they offer me a discount for paying for portal!!!

When I first saw the title, I got worried it would be a Q4 release or something like that. A two month delay isn't too bad for Valve :p This is probably my most anticipated game release of 2011!!

Valve is the very best example of laziness and incompetence. They continue to release games on an outdated CPU based engine that is put to shame by UE 2.5 for gods sake. They better stop messing around because there is no reason games like portal 2 and Episode 3 couldn't make xmas releases.

princenton. I disagree with your opinion. Not all about graphics is it now. All valve games are of high quality, and valve have a very good record. When they release a crap game call me.

gobbybobby said:
princenton. I disagree with your opinion. Not all about graphics is it now. All valve games are of high quality, and valve have a very good record. When they release a crap game call me.

TF2 update. Whats your phone number so I can call you? The game is ****ing horrible now.

"Valve is the very best example of laziness and incompetence. They continue to release games on an outdated CPU based engine that is put to shame by UE 2.5 for gods sake. They better stop messing around because there is no reason games like portal 2 and Episode 3 couldn't make xmas releases."

How dare they wait to release brilliant games in post-alpha builds! They should take a leaf out of Bethesda's book and release them with dozens of game breaking bugs :p.

Guest said:
"Valve is the very best example of laziness and incompetence. They continue to release games on an outdated CPU based engine that is put to shame by UE 2.5 for gods sake. They better stop messing around because there is no reason games like portal 2 and Episode 3 couldn't make xmas releases."

How dare they wait to release brilliant games in post-alpha builds! They should take a leaf out of Bethesda's book and release them with dozens of game breaking bugs :p.

The point is. Ep3 should NOT be in post alpha. Any competent company could have had it out by now. The episodic games are shorter than a game of ****ing uno.

princeton said:
gobbybobby said:

TF2 update. Whats your phone number so I can call you? The game is ****ing horrible now.
only the *****s that don't play competitive think that...the updated stuff is banned in competative play. my advice, GET GOOD

Seriously... gamers are a bunch of whining cry babies. I'm a gamer myself, and i've been known to whine and cry at times... but I APPRECIATE and RESPECT a product delay for the intent of quality assurance and improvement prior to launch. I'm sick and tired of rushed releases because corporate wants the money to flow in... then after they pushed their developers, the product sucks and they have to go back and fix it, all the while people go to their forum and cry, scream, insult, and yell foul-play because the product has problems.

I feel bad for the developers... really. I think they want to make a solid product and not rush things... but marketing says no, rush it out so we can make our monies before game X releases or before X holiday arrives.

kakarot27 said:
princeton said:
gobbybobby said:

only the *****s that don't play competitive think that...the updated stuff is banned in competative play. my advice, GET GOOD

Not all players are COMP players. Your argument therefore has no merit and is completely circumstantial. Thanks for allowing my argument to rein supreme.

IAMTHESTIG said:
Seriously... gamers are a bunch of whining cry babies. I'm a gamer myself, and i've been known to whine and cry at times... but I APPRECIATE and RESPECT a product delay for the intent of quality assurance and improvement prior to launch. I'm sick and tired of rushed releases because corporate wants the money to flow in... then after they pushed their developers, the product sucks and they have to go back and fix it, all the while people go to their forum and cry, scream, insult, and yell foul-play because the product has problems.

I feel bad for the developers... really. I think they want to make a solid product and not rush things... but marketing says no, rush it out so we can make our monies before game X releases or before X holiday arrives.

Thank you for a solid intelligent response that echos my sentiments exactly. A 'delay' for a company like Valve is a good thing. It's a whole different story if it is another company or a game tied with marketing for movie theatre releases.

Valve has put out too many addictive games for me to really bash them too badly. Although I would like them to move away from the Source engine, I can't say that I really think it looks terrible. I would also say that games like Left for dead (1 and 2) had a few too many glitches, perhaps a new engine would help them out? While I do not like waiting for Portal 2, I am confident that it will be worth the wait, and I won't be starved for games anyways :)

im pretty positive princeton is just trolling, so just ignore him.
valve has the right idea about making games, u DO NOT release a game until it is completely finished and lives up to yur expectations. release dates should just be estimations of when the game comes out, just in case people are curious. it would be nice if valve was a bit more accurate in their estimations, but unreasonable because unexpected things happen.
heres the question u wanna ask yurself, u want a crap game to come out early, or an amazing game to come out later?

zecias said:
im pretty positive princeton is just trolling, so just ignore him.
valve has the right idea about making games, u DO NOT release a game until it is completely finished and lives up to yur expectations. release dates should just be estimations of when the game comes out, just in case people are curious. it would be nice if valve was a bit more accurate in their estimations, but unreasonable because unexpected things happen.
heres the question u wanna ask yurself, u want a crap game to come out early, or an amazing game to come out later?

I'm pretty positive you have no idea of what good game design is. Ever booted up Crysis? P.S. are you really so lazy that you type yur instead of your? That's pathetic.

Princeton, stop being a troll. Valve is one of the last developers that are devoted to PC and DOES make VERY good games. Everyone developer has bad games, now shut up and go on with your life, k ,thx, bye.

I'm pretty positive you have no idea of what good game design is. Ever booted up Crysis? P.S. are you really so lazy that you type yur instead of your? That's pathetic.

can u not read?....... what i said has nothing to do with game design. game design is the actual content of the game: the gameplay, presentation, storyline.

u say "I'm pretty positive you have no idea of what good game design is. Ever booted up Crysis?" and yur proving my point that the content of the game, not the process developers go through to create the game(what im talking about) is game design. so don't start ranting about how im wrong about what game design is.

clearly u are trolling; u dont deny it and u insult me with things that have absolutely no relevance to the topic.

if i have no idea what good game design is, then u good sir r completely oblivious to the basics of game design. u say that valve is incompetent, well most people like me love valve games and its apparent in most of their games. just look at half life, team fortress, Left for dead, portal, and counter strike; they're all extremely popular.

Heh people who thing games are all GFX have got it wrong, I own crysis yea it looks great but I hate it, just can't get into it, love TF2, CSS not got L4D2 I signed the petition, (like only one to actully not buy it) but L4D given me hours of joy. Portal prob the best game I ever played. Prob worth more than what I paid, and you lot that got it free!

Anyway GFX are not everything, a game can be great in its own way.

Zecias said:

can u not read?....... what i said has nothing to do with game design. game design is the actual content of the game: the gameplay, presentation, storyline.

u say "I'm pretty positive you have no idea of what good game design is. Ever booted up Crysis?" and yur proving my point that the content of the game, not the process developers go through to create the game(what im talking about) is game design. so don't start ranting about how im wrong about what game design is.

clearly u are trolling; u dont deny it and u insult me with things that have absolutely no relevance to the topic.

if i have no idea what good game design is, then u good sir r completely oblivious to the basics of game design. u say that valve is incompetent, well most people like me love valve games and its apparent in most of their games. just look at half life, team fortress, Left for dead, portal, and counter strike; they're all extremely popular.

I'm not even going to read your comment. Learn to use punctuation and proper words. You look like an *****.

I'm not even going to read your comment. Learn to use punctuation and proper words. You look like an *****.

lol? not reading just BECAUSE YOU know YOU can't beat my argument. seriously just stop trolling... i use shorthand(internet slang; in case YOU don't know what that means), but i also use proper punctuation; or do YOU just not understand how a semi colon works?

Back