Possible CPU fan problem

Hello everybody I suspect my PC may be on its last legs but i thought I'd post my situation before anything else so here goes
The PC is quite old now, maybe 2005 or so, im not sure exactly as i bought it from a friend about 3 years ago, anyway a couple of years ago i got a message on startup saying CPU fan was not working (press F11 to continue) after a little while i got tired of this error message and turned it off in BIOS (i think?) It ran fine for a long time but now the computer doesnt always boot and i have to turn it on then off then on again sometimes for a long time before it finally springs to life, I dd some research on why this might be happening when i realised that ages ago i had disabled the error message on startup and this was probably the issue - basically the CPU fan hasnt been running for a long time. I suspect there must be permanent damage to something what with it being broken for such a long time but if anyone knows what would be the result of this neglect and what my possible solutions are that would be great, thanks

Open up the box and take a look at the fan. Can it be replaced by itself? If it can then replace the fan. If it can't then replace the heat sink and fan.

Back