Power button stopped working, now reset button stopped

Hi all,

I've been trying to get an idea where to go next but am hitting a wall, so I was hoping someone on here might have an idea.

Basically, I built a machine a year ago. Worked great for a year. 4 days ago power button just stopped working. The computer was in sleep mode and refused to wake. So I just turned it off at the power supply and turned it back on and hit the power button and nothing, but Mobo is still receiving power. So I google around and land on this forum and read some threads about the power button dying and a trick is to just use the rest button.

I did that last night and presto! Machine boots up and I'm back in action and happy (well pretty happy as I have to hit reset for power now, but I'll live :)). I use the comp for a bit elated it's working, put it in sleep mode, and go to sleep.

Well this morning rolls around, I go to to use the computer, wont come out of sleep mode. Weird. I hit the rest button. Nothing. I open it up and try shorting the power connectors (used a fork, my finger, and keys to connect the pins - nothing). Mobo is receiving power though as I can see lights on it.

And this is where I am. I'm starting to think it might be a mobo problem? But I'm honestly not sure and I'm not sure where to do next to further trouble shoot.

Thanks!
Brian

Back