Power Outage and Motherboard Issues

Status
Not open for further replies.
I apologize for the following wall of text, but I was trying to be as accurate as possible..

I had a really brief power outage recently as the result of someone flipping my wall switch "off" and then "on" within a few seconds. The first thing I thought of was a potential power surge and my fears were highlighted by the fact that when I turned the desktop back on, nothing was appearing on the screen - a clear indicant that the motherboard wasn't running its POST tests..

I couldn't reset the computer any other way so I turned it off by holding the power button and restarting - same result for about 3 attempts. Finally I decided to turn off the the Power Supply (then back on) and that did the trick. I saw the POST test run and my OS loaded.

But I'm a little confused as to why I needed to reset the power supply first before I got any functionality back and also if I did any major damage..

Just a little background info, the PSU is a ThermalTake ToughPower 850w, and its suppose to have some over-voltage protection. The PSU is plugged into a surge protection power strip - but the strip is about 10+ years old (so I wasn't sure if its ability to protect against surges is still viable).

Do you have recommendations on what tests I can run to determine if any problems occured as a result of the power outage? (Tests on components or the motherboard itself.)

I'm running on a Asus m3n78 pro. It has a boot setting config in BIOS called "Halt On" and its setting was for "all" (errors I assume?). Since I just ran into a bad shut-down procedure (the power outage) would that suffice to create a "Halt" situation, and would that create the scenario where-in the MoBo wasn't running its POST tests until the PSU was reset?

Do motherboards retain faulty settings or error settings as a result of crashes or power outages? Would that be a logical explanation as to why I had to turn-off the PSU, in order to dissipate any remaining electricity and thereby remove the errors (since the errors are stored by electrical signal) ?

Its been 4 days since the power outage. Since the PSU reset, the PC has been working just fine. It hasn't stalled. It starts and shuts down completely without issue.

The power supply detected the uneven power source. You reset it. Everything is back to normal, because that is one fine Thermaltake power supply. Power supply is not hurt by the power strip either. But I would not use that power strip during a lightning storm.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back