Power supply not connected on Radeon HD 2600 Pro but works?

bobstereo

hi guys a little help here.. just installed a sapphire radeon hd2600 pro into pc and did not know about connecting the power wire to the board. anyway cut a long story short it works fine and the power wire still not connected??? should i connect it or leave it as it is?
thanks
regards...bob

Cards like that in a normal environment will operate fine without external power, but once a load is put onto the card it will most likely become unstable. Go ahead and connect it to save yourself problems in the future.

I know its pretty much solved, but yes you should and need to connect the power cable to it. The PCIe interface supplies some power to it (like 24W? perhaps more) but the cards under load will draw more power than the PCIe slot can provide.

I'm actually surprised that it even works, I have an AGP 7800GS and it won't even boot without the power connected, it just makes a terrible sounding screeching alarm noise. I know its AGP vs PCIe but I figured that you'd just get an alarm on boot.

re hd2600

i was supprised myself that it worked... took me a smoke or two to eventually plug the power lead in just incase it blowup :) only got it of ebay before and had allready given good feedback so was weary of something going wrong but all is fine lead in and no problems :)
weird how these ATI cards need more power than what it gets from the agp socket!
nvidia`s are not like this. wonder why it mentions pci-e when its a agp card?
anyway thanks a lot guys its working fine didnt blowup and im smoking another smoke in relief :)~ phew

Back