Pre-orders for new iPhones break record, top 4 million on the first day

Shawn Knight

Staff member

iphone apple pre-order iphone 6 iphone 6 plus

Apple on Monday announced they’d set a new record for iPhone pre-orders with over four million secured in the first 24 hours. Demand exceeded the company’s initial pre-order supply although there are still a few ways to get your hands on a new iPhone later this week.

In a press release, Apple said an additional supply of iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus will be available to walk-in customers on Friday at 8:00 am local time at Apple retail stores. Customers are encouraged to arrive early or order online for store pick-up.

iphone apple pre-order iphone 6 iphone 6 plus

Both models will also be available this Friday from AT&T, Sprint, T-Mobile, Verizon and additional carriers as well as at select Apple Authorized Resellers.

Apple didn’t detail how many of each handset they sold but based on what we’ve been hearing around the web as well as shipping estimates, the iPhone 6 Plus sold out first. It’s unclear whether this can be attributed to higher demand for the larger-screen device or a supply shortage.

The four million mark is twice what Apple achieved back in 2012 with the iPhone 5 during the same 24-hour period. The company didn’t announce pre-order figures for the 5s / 5c last year although they did manage to sell nine million combined handsets on opening weekend. Given the pre-order figures this time around, it’s looking like Apple could eclipse that figure once again – so long as there’s enough inventory to go around.

Permalink to story.

iPhone is the Call of Duty of smartphone world. Even if Apple throws a brick it'll break the records. Good for them!

No people.. I don't hate Apple.. just an observation.

isheep-expert-witness.jpg

you know... "sheep" is a word to sescibe the masses of population... and since the masses of smart phone users (to the tune of 85% of all smartphones) are Android users... don't you mean driodSheep? are you just using the word "isheep" because your classmates do?

you know... "sheep" is a word to sescibe the masses of population... and since the masses of smart phone users (to the tune of 85% of all smartphones) are Android users... don't you mean driodSheep? are you just using the word "isheep" because your classmates do?

Incorrect. "Sheep" has always described a sizable group of individuals who blindly follow a particular ideal, leader or trend. Your argument is invalid.

I'm Apple kind-of-a-hater, but I'm sure it's one of a kind software environment that will work for most. But my questions are: is it a record first day sale for iPhone 6 or iPhone 6 & iPhone 6 Plus combined? If the latter, it's no record at all. Those are two different handsets, with second one taking hit at battery departement with more pixels to process, but taking lead at standby/screen-off time with bigger battery. Second, I could never understand people that buy something without having read some first time impressions/tests. Therefore I consider iSheep term for those waiting in queue for new toy fully deserved.

Samsung had a phone out for while already thats better than the Apple . Apple said itself samsung is going the worng way with bigger size screen mockig the size. Now they fall in line and do exactly what they mocked samsung for . NOt to mention resolution and screen appearance is better on samsung regardless of size, apple has 720p bah, 720P!!!! haha a

no sd card slot, not in a million yrs will aplle put one either. They asssume that will continue to work, they are wrong.

Incorrect. "Sheep" has always described a sizable group of individuals who blindly follow a particular ideal, leader or trend. Your argument is invalid.
opps, was wrong, mixing up the word with cattle.... cattle sheep... whatever... in this case I guess its iSheep and aCattle

I think that is lemmings.

Oh look at you. Adding technical information to the discussion. Moving the conversation forward. You troll on, girlfriend!

Back