Pretty new computer keeps freezing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Smallfrie81

I did my first build a few months ago and recently it has started freezing, at first it was only occasionally but today it happened 6 times in a row shortly after startup. I cleaned all my fans cause they were a little dusty and that took my GPUs temps from 46C to 39C, my CPU temp is around 55C with the cores fluctuating between 50C and 55C. Smartfan says my System temp right from startup is 103C which seems impossible considering the time and the fact that I have 4 huge fans and an almost entirely mesh chassis. The OS is a little sketchy, my friend gave me a burned DVD and said he copied his, I dont know about it though, he may have downloaded it. Please help with this, I think its probably a software issue but I am not sure.

You might want to inspect your heat sink and cpu for coloration due to heat...
Otherwise, you possibly have too much or too little thermal past, or a failing CPU fan.
You simply have to respect the Smartfan... It is not all that acurate, but even "close enough" is a worry at those temperatures..

If thermal paste is not too thick (acting as an insulator) nor too thin (inadequate heat transfer), then CPU fan is such a likely suspect that I would replace it and see if the temp specs change.

I wasnt using any thermal paste and i only have the cpu fan that comes with the cpu, i tested it and the temp goes up a solid 20C in under a minute when i try to convert a avi file to DVD format. I have ordered myself a Masscool 8W553 / Socket 775 / Aluminum / CPU Cooling Fan and Thermaltake CL-O0027 TG1 Extreme High Grade Thermal Grease. Will this fix the problem or is there anything more I should do?

That should fix your problem. It's very dangerous not to be using any TIM. You could've fried your processor.

Well, the stock fan comes with Thermal paste, although it's not the best, it should do.
If it keeps freezing you might consider looking at your ram instead.

I kinda wiped most of the thermal paste off cause i thought it was corrosion... Once I felt it I realized it wasnt but it was too late.

Another problem im having is with the system temp. My cpu temp is idle at 45C and my GPUs are idle at 45C and 42C respectively, however my system temp is reading 103C idle... I am not even sure what the system temp is, I have tons of airflow in my case and all the wires are very well managed, i put my hand in the case and it was very cool. why would this be so high and what can i do to fix it?

Either an error or a disaster waiting to happen.
Some CPU's can handle temperatures over 65c to 72c for short periods, but you don't want any equipment with which I am familiar running at 103c at idle... which is 217.4F... very destructive to any computer.
So you have a serious hard ware issue or a temperature detection issue.

It starts off like that upon startup so i cant imagine that it is really at that temp, is there any way to fix a sensor to get a proper reading?

smartfan.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back