Prime Day was a smashing success, and not just for Amazon

Shawn Knight

Staff member
What just happened? The return of Prime Day to its traditional summer slot was a smashing success as e-commerce players far and wide benefited from Amazon's two-day summer sales event. Collectively, retailers in the US raked in $11 billion according to data from Adobe's Digital Economy Index.

The e-commerce giant said Prime Day 2021 was the biggest two-day period ever for Amazon’s third party sellers. Collectively, shoppers across 20 countries purchased more than 250 million items worldwide. Even the lead up was a hit thanks to the spend $10, get $10 promotion. During that period, customers spent north of $1.9 billion on more than 70 million products, a 100 percent increase compared to the Prime Day October 2020 promotion.

Amazon’s sales event boosted e-commerce sales across the board. According to data from Adobe’s Digital Economy Index, total US online spending surpassed $11 billion during June 21-22 ($5.6 billion on the first day and $5.4 billion on day two). Adobe said in an e-mailed statement that this represents 6.1 percent growth compared to last year’s Prime Day total online revenue of $10.4 billion.

Prime Day 2021 even eclipsed Cyber Monday 2020, but just barely, as consumers spent $10.9 billion during that mega shopping day.

Taylor Schreiner, director of Adobe Digital insights, said the results suggest there’s pent-up demand for online shopping as consumers look forward to a return to normalcy.

Image credit Kite-rin

Permalink to story.

Pent up demand for online shopping??? Sorry, you'll have to explain that one to me. That's all people have been doing since the declaration of the "pandemic" that would have killed us all had we not been wearing our masks. *cough, cough*

Pent up demand for online shopping??? Sorry, you'll have to explain that one to me. That's all people have been doing since the declaration of the "pandemic" that would have killed us all had we not been wearing our masks. *cough, cough*
Covid: Mortality rate of 1-2%
TheBigFatClown: Covid has a mortality rate of 100% unless you wear a mask

I bought ONE thing on Prime day. I WAS going to buy it on Amazon, but when I went to the manufacturers website to dig a little further, they had a "trade in" for my older watch, that made it cheaper to buy from the manufacturer, than to buy it on Amazon.

Back