Printer printing random letters and numbers

spethstation

It took me all day to figure it out but I finally got my printer to share from my PC to my Macbook...but the only problem now is that when I print from my Macbook my printer just prints out random strings - letters and numbers. It also will just constantly spew out these pages - it doesn't stop unless I cancel the print. Doesn't matter what I print. I read on another forum that it might be related to missing fonts, but I can't verify this. Any ideas?

I have an HP Photosmart All-in-One C4200 series printer.
Sorry if this is posted in the wrong place.

#1 and #2 are covered...check on both of those - but perhaps I'll try #3, it won't hurt for me to try, I was just hoping someone would know the answer so I could diagnose and repair without going through the agony of tech support.

Thanks.

Okay...:grinthumb
Reason I asked 1...
I have found HP printers to be very finiky about their installation.
You must follow their directions exactly or troubles result. :suspiciou

And ... 2 ... not trying to insult your intelligence, but it can get overlooked that mac and pc require different software/drivers.:haha:

I suggested three, because their tech support was quick and successfully resolved the issue.
Not too much agony.
The tech will probably ask you to do things that you already have done; perhaps you have done them several times. It is simply part of a systematic approach to rule out the obvious right from the start... (Kind of like,"My monitor is dark" "Are your machine and monitor plugged in to power? Is there power at the outlet where they are plugged in? Is the monitor connected to the computer? Is the computer turned on? Is the monitor turned on?" Obvious stuff... but sometimes helpful to get out of the way "from the get-go".)

If HP's "chat" Tech Support can't get you there, you might try re-posting in "The Alternative OS".

I think this is more likely a "software / os" issue rather than a "hardware or tweaking" issue.
Let us know how it goes, okay?

Oh, it's alright! I understand sometimes it is the most obvious thing...to be honest this printer has always given me problems. Sometimes when I turn on my computer it will tell me my printer software is somehow missing and attempt to reinstall it again - I think I have 3 copies of actual printer now. I think I'll uninstall everything and try again, that might even be contributing to the problem. I will also look at the tech chat support too.

Thanks for all your help, and if I continue to have problems I'll repost there.

Delete the two extra copies if they show-up Run Advanced System Care Free let that clean/repair the registry

Uninstall the driver and software for the printer and disconnect the USB port connection
Reboot
Reinstall the drivers from the web site
Connect the Printer to USB port

If it happens again or repeats then the hardware has gone duff (bad)
Replace printer

Problems like random Char (letters and numbers)

Back