Problem after installing XP Service pack 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chriss

Hi

Had a few problems a couple of weeks back with corrupt files, so had to fixed them. Doing that meant that all updates, drivers etc were deleted. Installing service pack 1 was not a problem, installtion wen't smoothly, however I needed service pack 2 for a few programs to work. Upon installing that, I restarted the computer only to find that it suddenly gets stuck on the desktop. The start menu, icons and everything else wasn't there, so I thought it was that explorer.exe wasn't loading. However it is in the processes list.

If you wait for around 5 minutes, the start menu loads but everything you click on it crashes the computer for around 30 seconds. One thing I did find was I could disable explorer.exe, and open every program directly through the task manager, which works fine. I've tried disabling all the programs on startup but that didn't make a difference. Safe mode works fine, without crashing. I've ran chkdsk with problems found and fixed, but that didn't make a difference.

Anyone got any ideas?

Thanks

Ignore SP2. Start again, and just update with SP3. If you're talikng about XP that is....

Dont like it that chkdsk errors were found. Could HDD is failing. How old is it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back