Problem installing Windows XP

marnieltorres

My computer was running windows XP and then upgraded to windows 7. And because the sounds and video doesn't functioning well bcoz of incompatibility. now I decided to go back to windows Xp. when I'm reformatting an error just showing. it says:

"A problem has detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer
If this is the first time you've seen this stop error screen, restart your computer If this screen appears again follow these steps:

Check for viruses on your computer. Remove any newly installed hard drive controllers. Check your hard drive to make sure it is properly configured and terminated. Run CHKDSK /F to check for hard drive corruption and then restart your computer."

please can somebody help me. please please..

First, when you upgraded to Windows 7 did you also update your video and sound drivers as well?

That is probably why you had issues with Windows 7. It is a common problem. Upgrade to Windows 7 again and then update your video and audio drivers.

What make is your system or did you build it? If you built it what make is your motherboard?

I already spent time trouble shooting it. and it just cant be. it is not about the driver. my sound and video device just cant support windows 7 features.. another techSpot ambassador just told me to install a separate video and sound.. now instead of buying those. I just wanted to go back to windows XP.

error message

well depending on what stores are near you it might just be cheaper to upgrade everything,. I was able to update my sound card and video card for under 200 dollars but to each their own

OK, going back to your original problem reinstalling XP. What type of hard drive do you have is it IDE or SATA?

Is the error appearing during the windows reinstallation or are you formatting the drive prior to reinstalling using other software?

OK, very early on in the installation process you will see a message at the bottom of the screen asking you to hit F6 to install additional drivers, it is at this point you need to install the SATA drivers for your motherboard using a floppy disc. The option is to follow this guide to slipstream the drivers into a copy of your XP disc. You can also set the hard drive to run in IDE mode in the Bios but this will loose the additional speed obtained from the SATA drive.

http://news.softpedia.com/news/Install-Windows-XP-On-SATA-Without-a-Floppy-F6-47807.shtml

Guide on XP and SATA settings in Bios

http://www.mydigitallife.info/windo...d-find-any-sata-hard-disk-drive-on-ahci-mode/

I just read the thread and wanted to add a bit of info to Mark56's good advice.

1. Remember you may need to add both SATA and the latest chipset drivers for your motherboard when you splipstream your installation CD

2. You can also find PoppaBear's recent experience with the same issue in this thread Can't load Win XP Pro on Intel mobo DX58SO2

I'll defer to Mark56 expertise if you need further help. Just wanted to add the couple points. :wave:

windows xp & windows 7 64 bit

one solution in migrating to windows 7 64bit version with xp software is to go to the website of VMlite and download the free version of this virtualization program. You also need to get from Microsoft a special version of XP called XP virtual mode, or something like that; the Microsoft website has it; once you have mounted VMlite, using Windows 7 as the host, you then install this xp virtual mode as a guest application. VMlite allows your 32 bit software to run on VMlite and recognize your usb devices, printer etc.
You should be aware however, that XP virtual mode cannot "see" your big 1TB drives or any hdd over a certain size; so you must use on the hdd(s) that you were using when you used XP as the main OS. You can plug in a usb device that can serve as a transport point; you can copy files to it in XP virtual mode, and then closed down your 32 bit software when you are finished using it; close VMlite (it has a small icon in Windows 7 just like any other program that calls it up). Then back in Windows 7, which can recognize the same USB stick you plugged in (only generally it now has a different letter assigned to it), you use a utility or something like TOTAL COMMANDER to save your 32 bit work to a back up hdd, which can be as big as you need.
I don't have any financial interest in any of this stuff, or in anything else for that matter. But it solved a tricky problem for me when I moved to a 64 bit OS.

Some usefull information James but the OP has already discovered that his sound and graphics are incompatible with Windows 7 and there was no mention of a 64bit OS. The issue only remains to get XP reinstalled on a SATA drive which has already been answered.

your help were very much appreciated guys. thanks a lot.. I really cant fix it, I think I'll lend it to professionals..and my mom is just planning to buy a new desktop. that computer really really gave us a lot of head ache. hahahaha. I realy thank you all guys.

Well, it's your call. But if you change your mind and want to get the old machine up and running we are here to help. Getting the Sata drivers installed is not that difficult.

IT Assistant

marnieltorres

I understand you cannot setup windows xp after you up rage to windows 7
and become blue screen!!

First You must go bios and change SATA to IDE and reboot your machine to setup windows xp!!!

i hope this can help you!!

First You must go bios and change SATA to IDE and reboot your machine to setup windows xp!!!

This will allow a trouble free installation of XP but you loose the extra speed from the SATA drive running it in IDE mode. It is far better to install the SATA drivers during the installation using the F6 key when prompted. The drivers can also be integrated into a copy of the XP disc.

You need to go to the PC's manufacturer's site and download the SATA drivers.

Or you need to get the make and model number of the motherboard and again go to the manufacturer's site for the driver.

I gave the guides earlier in post 9.

Back