Problem networking XP and Vista

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have an XP-SP2 desktop and a Vista Home Premium laptop. I am having very frustrating network problems and would appreciate any advice offered.

1. All firewalls are OFF on both computers.
2. Vista has the following set to ON in the Network and Sharing Center: network discovery, file sharing, public folder sharing, media sharing; -- printer sharing and password protected sharing are OFF
3. XP has been setup for network sharing for a long time and interacts fine with a third computer (also XP)
4. I have a wireless network using a router. The main XP is plugged into the router with a network cable, the other XP computer and the Vista computer can all readily find and connect to the wireless network and obtain internet access
5. Both Vista and XP are members of the same workgroup and have the same subnet mask (255.255.255.0)
6. The XP does not show up at all in the Vista/Network
7. BUT the Vista's name DOES show up in XP's Network Places -- but it cannot be accessed ("network path not found")
7. If I type XP's IP address in Vista's explorer it DOES FIND and list the shared resources on the XP machine and they are fully accessible
8. BUT If I type the Vista's IP address in the XP's explorer the XP cannot find anything
9. I CAN PING the XP (by name or IP address) from the Vista, but
10. I CANNOT ping the Vista at all from the XP.
11. In desperation I installed the "Link Layer Topology Discovery (LLTD) Responder (KB922120) for Windows XP" but that didn't help.

Could anyone help me get these machines to recognize each other? I would be VERY grateful,

-Howard

Have a look here: https://www.techspot.com/vb/topic106417.html

Here's a quote from there too:
3. System Services
Confirm these services set to Automatic start and are running NOW
– Computer Browser. Other common problems can stop it
– Server. Part of F&PS. Verify F&PS installed (see step 2)
– TCP/IP NetBIOS Helper. Verify NetBIOS over TCP/IP enabled (step 2)
– Workstation. Part of Client for MS Networks (step 2)

To check services, Start->Run, enter services.msc
Right-click service name, select Properties. Set Startup Type= Automatic (if needed). Reboot / recheck
Check Service Status= Started. Any other value means it’s not running. If Startup Type= Automatic and Status not= Started, must be fixed
4. Settings
Computer set to “hide” from net browsing? From command prompt (Start->Run->cmd)
NET CONFIG SERVER shows current settings
NET CONFIG SERVER /HIDDEN:NO Turns option off

If all this doesn't help, try putting a password on the Administrator account and logging in with this password, when prompted

There's a number of things that might be involved but your items 9 and 10 indicate a very fundamental problem that needs to be fixed first if your machines can't ping one another.

Go to Network Settings in Control Panel and make certain Network Type is set to private and not public.

What firewall are you using on each machine?

Firewall's are off (although I agree that even just being installed can cause issues sometimes).

But this fault with Xp and Vista (again very common, noted before as well)
What's the fix?

And where's this:
Part3, “Troubleshoot: XP File and Printer Sharing, Fixing access privileges” helps fix access rights errors between machines. This document still to be published
I'd say this document will be the key :)

The real question (behind the question) is whether they might be using a 3rd party firewall (which they turned off) but the Windows firewall may be turned on (and they don't realize it)

There's many variables in the XP/Vista networking (like there weren't plenty already in XP/XP) which may also include (i haven't double checked) if Vista password protection is off i think XP simple file sharing must be ON. (But it seems best to focus on the ping issue first and tackle what remains after that)

Re: Part3, just haven't managed to muster the time and energy for it yet. And, of course, all of these document XP/XP issues. Which are similar but not completely identical to XP/Vista issues (File sharing in windows can be such a pain!)

I will read and try these things and...

post back. As for firewalls, I use F-Secure on the XP machine and, for now, the Win Live OneCare firewall (NOT the other Windows firewall) on Vista. But for this troubleshooting I have completely unloaded ("allow all network traffic") the F-Secure and made sure BOTH Vista firewalls are disabled. Thank you all.

1. Verify Windows firewall is off on XP. Control Panel -> Windows Firewall. see that it is off
2. Don't the exact method but verify Vista native firewall is also OFF.
3. Check Network Type on Vista (per my post)
4. Suggest you then report back. I think best to first get ping working first before trying to look at other issues.
5. btw.. when you look at resources on Windows network you should be using Network Neighborhood in XP (and some similar name in Vista)
6. As the firewalls are off and remain off, this not so much the issue but be aware that results to firewall (or network) changes are NOT immediately seen by Windows Network (can take up to 10-12 minutes) unless you choose to restart after any changes.

just re-read your original post. Is it possible to use a completely wired connection between computers until this problem is fixed? There's some additional variables/problems that can occur when doing File Sharing over wireless.

Whew!

This is a great and responsive board! It's late now and I will dive in again tomorrow morning, but I am thrilled about the level of responsiveness here. As for hard wiring the network, I am reluctant to try that at this point because I am far from a networking guru (I was amazed that I got my wireless network working as easily as I did). But if push comes to shove I could be persuaded to try anything.

I may or may not be around later when you reply, so i wanted to point what i thought you should look at next AFTER you can successfully ping each machine. Am sure kimsland or others on here can help walk you through the steps.

It sounds like some of your problem may also be related to Computer Browsing Service running on your computers. The Master Browser maintains a list of the resources it sees on your network and shares the list with the other computers.

1. Verify Computer Browser Service is running on each machine. On each machine, Start -> Run then enter services.msc. Scroll down to find Computer Browser service. Verify Status=Started. If Status indicates any value other then Started you have a browser problem that must be fixed (some things to check:StartupType=Automatic, File and Printer Sharing is installed, required network ports aren't being blocked). You can also check the Windows Event Log for reasons its not running. Also, many of the steps in the Part1 Troubleshooting Guide check on items which would stop the Browser Service if they weren't set correctly.

2. Try testing where you wired XP computer is running the Master Browser.
- Power down all computers
- Only power up wired XP computer
- Once you see the Windows desktop on XP you can startup your Vista computer
- With only these 2 computers running check if they can see each other. Use Network Neighborhood. If Windows doesn't show you an entry Entire Neighborhood, right click on Network Neighborhood and select Explore to see Entire Neighborhood listed. Always check your Windows Network view of things using this method

3. You prefer not to have a wireless computer run as the Master Browser. See Part2 of the Guide (section2) on how to configure Browser service to influence which computers can run (or never run) as Master Browsers.

This is a great and responsive board! It's late now and I will dive in again tomorrow morning, but I am thrilled about the level of responsiveness here. As for hard wiring the network, I am reluctant to try that at this point because I am far from a networking guru (I was amazed that I got my wireless network working as easily as I did). But if push comes to shove I could be persuaded to try anything.

In my experience, it is much easier to set up a wired network with ethernet cables than to set up a wireless network. A wired network also usually performs better.

reporting back

I have read and explored and here is what I've found:

1. Computer browser service IS running on each machine (started/auto/local system)
2. All firewalls are disabled
3. Network type on Vista is "Private"
4. I can't find anything on XP called "Network Neighborhood" but there is "My Network Places" which seems to be the same thing; Vista's is just called "Network"
5. Computer Browser, Server, TCP/IP NetBIOS Helper, and Workstation services all running and set to auto
6. On XP, NET CONFIG SERVER: Server Hidden=No (this command does not work on Vista)
7. My XP LAN properties are:
- Client for MS Windows
- File & Printer Sharing for MS Networks
- QoS Packet Scheduler
- Link-Layer Topo. Discovery Responder
- MS TCP/IP ver. 6
- Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)

(Note: NetBIOS is not in this list; under TCP/IP advanced properties NetBIOS is set to "default")
8. Vista still able to ping XP, but not vice-versa.

Next steps?

1. You're right, it's called My Network Places
2. Under Network Connections, Advanced WINS where NetBIOS is default CHANGE it to Enable NetBIOS

While you're at it, also

1. Turn off all the computers
2. Power cycle your router
3. Turn on the XP wired computer first. Wait till it's all the way up before restarting Vista

1. NetBIOS now enabled
2. Computers still not visible to each other in My Network Places/Network
3. Vista can still ping XP by name or IP address
4. XP still cannot ping Vista. Here is the result:

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
(C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\Howard>ping 192.168.0.102

Pinging 192.168.0.102 with 32 bytes of data:

Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.

Ping statistics for 192.168.0.102:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 0, Lost = 4 (100% loss),

C:\Documents and Settings\Howard>

another observation...

On the XP machine when I use the search function to search for the Vista computer by name ("Bullwinkle"), it finds the Vista machine in the folder "MSHOME" But when I right click on the name and select properties, I get this error message: "The server Bullwinkle could not be found on the network." Does it mean anything that it refers to the Vista machine as a "server"?

Please try this wireless setup Start->Run command
%SystemRoot%\system32\rundll32.exe shell32.dll,Control_RunDLL NetSetup.cpl,@0,WNSW
Not sure if it works on Vista though. Can you please confirm?

wireless network setup wizard...

OK, ran the wireless network setup wizard on the xp, created a setup file on a USB key, plugged that key into the Vista and ran the setup file -- it seemed to "take" -- moved the key back to the XP and hit finish.

Now I cannot ping either computer from the other. The requests time out on both machines. A step backward?

Restart?

Or run this: (Start->Run->CMD) note: Vista is Right click on CMD, and run as Administrator
ipconfig /release

ipconfig /flushdns

ipconfig /registerdns

ipconfig /renew

netsh winsock reset catalog

netsh int ip reset reset.log

netsh winsock reset

Executed all those commands on both machines.
Restarted both machines.
Can once again ping XP from Vista, but not vice-versa.

Ok so the command line didn't help (but at least it kinda works on Vista!)

Start --> Run--> cmd /c ipconfig /all >Desktop\ipconfig.txt < ok>

And post the ipconfig.txt (on your Desktop) as an attachment
attach.gif
here

ie IPCONFIG-XP.txt and IPCONFIG-Vista.txt

Please uninstall IPv6 from Vista network properties
Restart, and test again (you might need to do all the ipconfig reset thing again too)

Some points for consideration
  1. As i understand it, you can't uninstall ipv6 from Vista. You can only disable it.
  2. just fyi... at one point i also considered whether ipv6 may be causing Vista problems but didn't find any evidence online to help indicate it. (But i have no issue disabling it. Here's a link to instructions)
  3. While i was out (i'm just back) was thinking about this problem and several thoughts
    • Howardrg, i know you were reluctant to run a wired connection to Vista but it really shouldn't disturb anything. And is usually quite simple to configure (if it even needs configuration. PLUS, i would really like to see Vista ping itself! (between LAN and wireless adapters)
    • Don't know how far it is from your router to your Vista machine (for a cable) but for the ping test you could actually just move the router
    • Still can't help thinking something on Vista is blocking the ping and try the following
      • Install a network sniffer (like Wireshark) to trace the actual packets arriving at the network adapter. Then we know for certain it;s a Vista machine issue
      • Howardrg, did you EVER have any type of other internet security software on the Vista machine? I'd still want to take a close look again firewall blockage. Would also install Process Explorer and dump running processes to see what's running
      • May be worthwhile to rebuild the Vista network adapter connections (make sure nothing is corrupted

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back