Problem recovering data from laptop hard drive after motherboard failure

I am apologizing before I start because I have limited knowledge and hope not to waste anyone's time.

The story: I am trying to recover a few data files from my old hard drive. I have removed my hard drive from my laptop in which the motherboard crashed. The hard drive is about a year old, laptop 5 years old. I placed the removed drive into a usb drive enclosure. The failed computer had Vista OS, my new computer has Windows 7 OS. The failed drive has a password on it at the level of logging into windows. When I connected old drive to new computer via usb, the new computer recognized it and gave it a drive letter. If if clicked on the drive I could see the files in it. When I tried to go to the files that contained my data, I got a message that I did have permission to open them. Then the new computer continuously tried to open the file. This process wouldn't stop even trying to kill it with the Task Master. I had to pull the drive out of the usb and reboot my new computer.

questions: What should I do? Is this a problem with conflicting OS systems, passwords, too many OS. I have looked at forums but could not find anything that I could understand and use. Any suggestions?

Thanks

Back