Problem with changing WD external harddrive case

Hey guys,

Excuse my lack of proper terminology. I am new to these things.

Recently my 500gb WD external hard drive had the USB port connection on the hard drives circuit board break off. So I went and bought a new case from my local computer shop. I had originally taken my HD to see if they could solder the usb port thing back on to the circuit board, but they said they don't do repairs. So he looked at my HD and told me which case would be best for it. I come home and follow his instructions and remove the circuit board from which the usb port fell off from (which also supplied the power and connected to the SATA power port on the HD) and put it in to the new housing. When I connect it to my laptop, it does not show up under My Computer. However, in my icon tray, it shows a USB device has connected, and it gives me the option of removing it safely. I can hear the HD starting up when it gets plugged in, but nothing else happens.

When I removed the HD from its new case and put the old circuit board bit back on, and manually held the usb with the usb port connection on to the circuit board from where it came off from, I am able to get it recognized by the computer, and the WD software for the password prompt starts up.

So I know my HD is functioning, I just cant get it to function in its new case.

Any help would be much appreciated. Thank you!

Is the new case powered in the same way as the old case? If yes, I would return the case.

Back