Problem with deleting files

Status
Not open for further replies.

justinash79

Hi,

I have 3 mov files that i transfered from my SD card on to my vista desktop.

Now I have problems deleting these files. Whenever i tried deleting them, the dialog box which indicates "calculating time remaining..." opens up and the progress bar just keeps moving forever and reloading the progress without ever deleting these files which is only abt 38mb.

At one instance I tried leaving it to do it job but it never did.

I've also tried deleting it in Safe Mode, but the same thing happens with the dialog box and progress bar.

Is there a way for me to delete these files?

Unfortunately, the program hangs on me whenever i choose the mov files or the folder containing the mov files in any of the options.

Is this a symptom of something bigger and not quite right with my system?

However, i have no problems using it with other files.

Is this a symptom of something bigger and not quite right with my system?
Possibly !

May be a good time to run Check Disk

Also there are a number of bootcds out there that you may be able to use to then locate the file and delete it.

Actually I wonder if you could do it via the command prompt (cmd)

Here's a good guide: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/tutorial147.html
Using your Vista Disc, and selecting the Command prompt.

But you will need to know where the files actually are and then Change Directory to it (ie CD)
on the command prompt, you can type: CD\ users <enter>

It's actually a bit difficult to explain, but after awhile you do get the hang of it (all the commands - also shown in the above link)

Once you change to the directory with your file in it, you can type DEL myfile.mov (obviously replacing the "myfile.mov" with whatever your filename is)

It is hard to explain here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back