Problem with DSL connection

Status
Not open for further replies.

DisplayError

I'm having a problem with my dsl connection (was my fault that it doesn't work). I launched a program (that launched cmd and did something with ipconfig), and now, the internet doesn't work. The modem was reset, unplugged, etc. and it still doesn't work. I compared my ipconfig with my cousin's ipconfig (we use the same connection):
everything is filled in (connection specific DNS suffix, ip address, subnet mask and default gateway), while I'm missing connection specific DNS suffix and default gateway. The ip address is also changed (it's 10.0.0.1), while my cousin's is 192 something.
Edit: I copied all of the info from my cousin's ipconfig and entered it as my own. I reset the modem, and it shows me as connected (when I go to the modem's ip), but I still can't use the internet.
Edit: When I set my TCP/IP properties to obtain an ip automatically, the ip address and subnet mask come up as 0, while the DNS suffix and the default gateway stay empty. My cousin's properties are also set to obtain an address automatically, but ipconfig shows the connection specific DNS suffix, ip address, subnet mask and default gateway.
Edit: After waiting a couple of minutes, the internet works again. Are there any ways to solve this problem, in case this happens again?

yes; leave the tcp settings alone. Using the DHCP for both IP and DNS should
allow your system to "Self Configure" everytime it boots, regardless if your brother is online too
(assuming he uses DHCP too).

when you try to do this manually you can easily (a) get it wrong or (b) duplicate an
address and foul up the whole LAN network.

the pause in the last try was your system performing a Release/Renew cycle to set
things right :)

As a limited 'solve-all' when working with a network connection that has it's settings all on automatic, the commands;

ipconfig /release

and then

ipconfig /renew

from the command prompt will completely refresh all ip information. Occasionally i've found PCs can keep their IP info when going from one network to another, and these usually solve this problem.

It was weird though; my settings weren't on automatic. From what I've read up on since this incident, it seems that leaving the TCP/IP properties on automatic would be the best configuration.
Would the ipconfig/release, ipconfig/renew work if the settings weren't on automatic? If I ever do get a reformat, would the best choice be to set the TCP/IP properties to automatic?

The release/renew commands do nothing if an IP is actually set, as these commands are directly linked to DHCP (aka automatic obtaining of IP address).

DisplayError said:
It was weird though; my settings weren't on automatic. From what I've read up on since this incident, it seems that leaving the TCP/IP properties on automatic would be the best configuration.
Correct :)
Would the ipconfig/release, ipconfig/renew work if the settings weren't on automatic?
no; a manual configuration will preempt release/renew
If I ever do get a reformat, would the best choice be to set the TCP/IP properties to automatic?
Always!

btw: if you log into your router, the WAN side has the same release/renew and
unless you have purchased a static IP address (eg a domain name), you can
perform r/r your self but understand the EVERY time the lease expires, it happens
automatically. Also, the the WAN side refreshes, it normally forces the router to refresh too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back