Problem with monitor or video card?

Valor

Hi everyone,
since yesterday I seem to have trouble with my LCD monitor, a BENQ T904. After some period of rest it only shows a black screen even though the light is turned on (green). Even when rebooting the screen will stay black, except you can see that it tries to display something as there are differences in the lighting/shading.

Sometimes when I turn it off and on I get the display back. But only when I run the computer in BIOS or safe mode. Which sucks. Also, I noticed that when the monitor gets turned on it shows the BENQ logo in a weird way...like there's a purple discoloration to it or it doesnt show the letters completely. And when I hit the monitor buttons for adjustments (brightness, contrast etc) the menu doesnt display either. (only when I was successful in getting a "picture" overall)

Does that mean the backlight is going? Or maybe its just the monitor cable? I have plugged the cable in and out of the video card (Nvidia GeForce 6200) and also switched the two ends between monitor and card. But that doesnt improve anything.

I really dont have the money for a new monitor right now so any advice is greatly appreciated. I may be able to get another video card from somoeone but somehow I get the feeling its the monitor...maybe I should open it and see if the backlight is lose? I did have a backlighting problem with a laptop once so I have some experience in this.

Btw, the device manager neither shows a problem with the monitor nor with the Nvidia card. And once I have the computer running in safe mode no errors or fluctuations in the display are visible. Thanks in advance!

Unfortunately I dont have another monitor! I will try to get me a new monitor cable though.

Turns out it really was the monitor. I just plugged in a new one, with the same cable, and everythings perfect. Ok trash, here we come...

Back