Problem with possible virus

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been having a problem since about two days ago with my internet. When I use Google Chrome and try to go to YouTube, MySpace, or Gmail, the tab just stays blank and it says "about:blank" as the title. When I go on Internet Explorer and try to go on these sites, it does the same thing, except on the tab, it says "res://C:\Windows\system32\shdoclc.dll/navcancl.htm" and doesn't load anything. Does anyone have any idea what this is or how I can fix it?

Probably it is not a virus, but a configuration error in Internet exploerer.
What band and model of computer do you have, and what is your operating system?
Do you know what you want the default startup to be for explorer? If so we may be able to suggest a fairly easy change to get things back to normal.
Sometime back, Google Chrome reset your default, and that has been changed or corrupted.

I don't want to rule out a virus, either.
So tell us what you use for antivirus and antispyware, and whether you have had a recent scan.

Well, I tried this on Firefox and also this other browser called Seamonkey. Same problem for all the browsers. I am running a 64 bit windows Vista Business edition. It's a Dell.

Try resetting your browser for Internet Explorer.
And reset it also for Firefox and others.
Go to Start->Control Panel->Internet Options->General
and create your home page in the top box, such as HTTP://www.google.com
if you want to add others, to create home page tabs, type each address on its own line.
You will note that Blank has been selected, and see what happens when you change that.

It didn't work. I've read some other forums about this and I'm pretty sure that it's a virus. I just want to know how to get rid of it. The only problem is...I don't have admin rights. This was my dad's computer and he gave it to me a while ago, but he forgot his password because he hasn't used it in a while. Since I don't have admin rights, I can't install programs, so is there any way to remove this without installing things?

What is brand and model and what icons come up on the start up screen?

What kind of an error message did you get when you tried to reset the General Home Page.

What antivirus is on there now.

Generally there is no way to deal with passwords, except to do a fresh reboot and reinstall of Windows. Save all your files and folders and do that if you have the windows disk...

You should first download and try to run these... all free. You can find them altogether on FileHippo, but they are readily available free at CNET and other sites.

Microsoft Security Essentials
Microsoft Windows Defender
Avira Antivir or AVG or Avast
SuperAntiSpyware
MalwareBytes

There are many other good sets, of course.

Scans will take a long time... perhaps three hours altogether...

If you actually need administrator rights to run these, you might consider buying a new hard drive... assuming you have the windows restore or install disk. Small ones of 160 GB to 250GB are now available for under $40... We see a bunch of those drives online for $34.95 each.
Install the new drive, and start fresh
or get your father's hands on the computer until he remembers the passwords.

Hard to help further without knowing the brand and model of computer or service tag.

Thanks...I'll try all those when I can. But for now, do you have any idea as to what "res://C:\Windows\system32\shdoclc.dll/navcancl.htm" could possibly be? Where can I find it's location on my computer? Maybe I could just remove it myself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back