Problem with router/internet connection

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just inherited a second computer and want to share an internet connection using a D-Link, DI-704P Router. I can connect each computer via ethernet cable to the dsl modem and access the internet. However, when I connect the modem to the router, I am not able to connect to the Internet. All the appropriate lights on the router are blinking and the dsl modem lights are lit as well. I am able to share files between computers. The setup guide for the router tells me to type the routers IP address into my browser's address bar to be able to configure the router. However, without being able to connect to the internet to begin with, this is not possible. I turned off the modem and router and powered them up again in that order. Still no connection. I have also rebooted several different times. Both computers are running Widows XP, One with SP3, One with SP2. I am using the widows security firewall on both computers. I am running AVG antivirus on both. The D-Link CD only contains Print server software and a user's manual.
Any suggestions?

Thanks for your help.

Should be possible, whether connected or not.
Sounds as if you have a driver problem. Have you checked your Device Manager to see what is listed there?

raybay,

I have checked device manager and everything seems fine. There are no "!" marks next to any device. Specifically my VIA Rhine II Ethernet adapter says it is working properly. The D-Link Router won't show up in the device manager, will it?

Thanks for your help.

If you are able to share files between the PC's, you should able to type the router's IP address into a browser and access it. Just start up your browser and let it time out for not reaching the Internet and then type in the IP address that the manual specifies. You should then get a login screen for the router.

NetCablesPlus,

Thank you! That worked. I was able to configure my router and identify my PPoE account name and password. After Reboot, I had internet access. I was expecting to have to connect manually through my internet connection icon I had set up originally. Now I just open my browser and I'm connected. If I try to connect manually, It now tries to connect me through the WAN mini port. Of course it won't connect this way. Why am I always connected now? Not complaining, just curious about the change?

Thanks for your help!!!

Glad that it worked for you. There could be a few reasons why your sign-on routine has changed. The most obvious is that you have placed an "always on" router in between your PC(s) and the dsl modem and the router is taking care of that issue for you automatically.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back