Problem with sound maybe a virus/malware

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi I have a problem on a computer regarding sound device.

Fist time it has gone like this:
I started computer play some music, everything works fine until some error regarding Generic Host Process appears and after this if I try to reopen winamp or any other audio player (games/internet sounds included too) it say I have a problem with my mixing device. When I go to Control Panel and open Sound Device menu it shows that are no device installed. What is curios is that winamp still plays and I can hear sound although there is no sound device available. It hapens only if I close or open another audio program.

I tried to format my C drive and reintall windows but the problem still goes. I have instaleled Windows XP Professional w/SP2 and Kaspersky antivirus only and the problems still appears only this time I wont get any error message, just a taskbar changing to old style 98 taskbar and again no audio device available and of course no sound.

I tried also to scan with some malware programs Anti-Malwarebytes and SuperAntiSpyware and with updated Kaspersky too but nothing is found.

Pls help

Hi I have a problem on a computer regarding sound device.

Fist time it has gone like this:
I started computer play some music, everything works fine until some error regarding Generic Host Process appears and after this if I try to reopen winamp or any other audio player (games/internet sounds included too) it say I have a problem with my mixing device. When I go to Control Panel and open Sound Device menu it shows that are no device installed. What is curios is that winamp still plays and I can hear sound although there is no sound device available. It hapens only if I close or open another audio program.

I tried to format my C drive and reintall windows but the problem still goes. I have instaleled Windows XP Professional w/SP2 and Kaspersky antivirus only and the problems still appears only this time I wont get any error message, just a taskbar changing to old style 98 taskbar and again no audio device available and of course no sound.

I tried also to scan with some malware programs Anti-Malwarebytes and SuperAntiSpyware and with updated Kaspersky too but nothing is found.

Pls help

Certainly best to start with the virus scan.....
but understand there are several different sound devcies on your computer tho you don't necessarilly need all of them at the same time. So (just as an example) control panel error message may be referring to just the mixer tho you still have your basic sound card which you can still hear things.

Suggest...
When everything is working, go to device manager and write down all the sound devices and their current device status. When you start having problems, what changed??

Ty for your response, I installed the drivers that came with the motherboard/graphic card and that I usually install on that system. I will try to update the drivers maybe it will resolve it. But I had the same OS and same drivers all over time (more than 2 years) and never got a problem like this. And the only program I installed on the computer beside OS and mobo/grafix drivers is Kaspersky Anti Virus

@LookinAround: I scanned with Kaspersky Antivirus, AntiMalwarebyte and Superantispyware until now and didn't get any message. Also I have something strange that I remember right know. I have a public IP (89.*.*.*) and after I installed Kaspersky got a message saying that svchost cannot connect to 192.168.0.1 or something like that, if this can be something i will make a print and post pic here when I will be home again.

I'm not a newbie I tried several method until now, I looked at open services, at events but nothing not ordinary there.

But I think I will go mad, tha last method I see is full format HDD to see if not a hidden boot virus or something on other partition hidden. But I hope I will not have to do that bcz I will lose a lot of data

When you get home please do the following
Check if Windows reports any problem devices
  • Click Start->Run, enter: msinfo32
  • Click the + sign next to Components to expand it
  • Click Problem Devices. Anything appear?
  • If yes, click on it, then Edit->Select All, Edit->Copy Paste into next post

Generate a DirectX report
  • click Start->Run, enter dxdiag
  • Notice progress in lower left window corner
  • When done, click Save Information button and save to your Desktop
  • In TechSpot, use the paper clip icon to attach the reports. (If you don't see icon you may need to first cick Go Advanced)

The problem seems more harder than I thought. When I started the computer Kaspersky found 2 viruses I will copy here the messages

deleted: virus Worm.Win32.AutoRun.utk File: C:\System Volume Information\_restore{4FAB3A61-28DD-4ECF-BF90-CE061EDF94AA}\RP1\A0000005.exe

deleted: Trojan program Packed.Win32.Black.a File: C:\System Volume Information\_restore{4FAB3A61-28DD-4ECF-BF90-CE061EDF94AA}\RP1\A0000041.exe

I deleted them, and tried to start the 8 step u told me but got some problems

First any site thats contains as name kaspersky virus norton trend malware, etc (I tried a lot) doesn't load. I boted in safe mode and download them, back in normal mode for instal but couldn't update so back again in safe mode made the update and scanned in safe mode first with malwarebyte and got 3 files one a register but all about something called VMwareservices.exe. Cleanned them than started to boot safe mode/normal mode to install and update superantispyware but this one couldn't find nothing but just some tracking cookies he always find and was all about the website I loaded earlier.

So after all that I got in normal mode again (still nothing loads containing viruses and stuff, only normal website like google, email, online newspapers, etc) and to the 8 step again.

I attached only the cccleaner log and hijackthis log bcz now malware and sas doesn't found anything. When I was writing this I got another message from kaspersky (I want to say that I made a full scan before and got nothing) and got some viruses in some files like C:\windows\system32\x, C:\windows\system32\x.exe, and 2 or 3 more but I cant find them in logs roght now.

P.S.: since I started the computer I didn't had the problems that I suggested when I started this thread about sound device and taskbar changing. Weird!!!

If u can help me with some advice?! I looked a litlle on the logs but nothing that could point some problems :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back