Problems installing and uninstalling programs with XP

dolsen

Not sure I have the right forum, but am having trouble installing and uninstalling programs. I just went though the virus forum and they suggested I come here. At the completion of removal all malware I am trying to install Java.

When trying to install Java, I receive the message "The Windows Installer Service could not be accessed. This can occur if you are running Windows in safe mode, or if the Windows Installer is not correctly installed. Contact your support personnel for assistance."

Additionally I am getting messages like
"Error 1719. Windows Installer could not be accessed"
"Error 1601 occurred"
"Unkown error"

Thanks for any assistance you can offer.

I just went though the virus forum and they suggested I come here. At the completion of removal all malware I am trying to install Java.

When trying to install Java, I receive the message "The Windows Installer Service could not be accessed. This can occur if you are running Windows in safe mode, or if the Windows Installer is not correctly installed. ...[ ].....
Malware either still running, or removed, can leave the Windows installer damaged and inaccessible. This happened to me recently, and I reinstalled Windows. I can't really say or suggest what course of action would be best for you.

I ran into a strange situation where I can no longer hook up XP with Windows Update. It tell me my access is outdated, but won't download the new files necessary. I'm working from a very old restore disc for my 9 YO eMachines.

I'm just sayin', as this stuff gets older and older, expect the unexpected.

Back