Problems installing drivers for my wireless USB adapter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sprslngr

I've been at this for a few days now and I hope someone can help. First off I'm a beginner so answers in lamens terms would be appreciated. and thanks in advance for any help. I started having trouble with my internet last week and after talking to AT&T I removed my wireless usb device andattempted to reinstall to fix the problem. Turns out the problem was with their router. Now I can't reinstall my usb device. The program installs normally then I get an error message from the hardward installer saying "A problem occured while installing your device". it also tells me that windows can't find software better than what I already have installed. I purchased a new USB adapter and had the same problem with the new one. spent an hour on the phone with the tech support who determined there is a problem with my PC. Duh.... when I try to reinitiate the device manager it says that windows cant find the drivers. Anyone ever have this problem. Thanks

Ray

It's not clear to me on exactly how you are trying to install the adapter. The USB adapters I have experience with say to install the driver first and then after the driver is installed, insert the USB adapter and let Windows find the device and connect/install the driver. Did you follow this order of installation?

If not, try uninstalling the driver from Add and Remove Programs in the Control Panel (for XP) or uninstall from Programs and Features in the Control Panel in Windows 7 and then start over.

Yeah I used the disk that came with the USB to install the software and drivers then inserted the USB when prompted by the installer. upon inserting it im met with windows "add hardware wizard" telling me the device wasnt installed correctly. Ive been through the hardware wizard with Belkins tech support several times selecting the specific location to find the drivers. reinstalled several times. and even downloaded the drivers off their website and used them instead of the disk.. nothing has worked.

Just to touch this base, what version of Windows are you using and what is the Belkin adapter's model name/number?

I use windows xp and the belkin i bought is a "surf & share" model #: 121012i2101046 version 1000. F7d2101..

It worked before but now I see no reason it shouldn't at least install. It may have failed. I don't know if there is any connection to the router failure. Perhaps AT&T misdiagnosed it. Anyway, you might need to get another one.

i think we ruled out a misdiagnosis. i successfully installed the adapter on my laptop that should rule out an error with the Belkin. I also tried to reinstall my old netgear adapter and got the same error. It seems like theres a setting or something amiss with windows that wont allow the hardware manager to install correctly. any other ideas

Ray

Yeah I used the disk that came with the USB to install the software and drivers then inserted the USB when prompted by the installer. upon inserting it im met with windows "add hardware wizard" telling me the device wasnt installed correctly.
Let's backup a minute.....

Yes. As you state, if you insert the device and you see the Add/Hardware Wizard then Windows isn't finding any drivers for the device.

Let's first remove any old drivers

1. As mailpup suggested, go to Add/Remove programs and look if any wireless network programs were installed. If you see any, uninstall them using Add/Remove

2. Next, see this link to be able to view nonpresent devices. Then open DevMgr, click View->Show hidden devices. Look under network adapters. See anything? If you see any wireless devices listed, rt click to uninstall them

3. Insert the USB wireless adapter. When Add Wizard opens, hit Cancel. Now
See if Windows reports any problem devices
  • Make sure all your devices are connected and powered on
  • Click Start->Run, enter: msinfo32. Click the + sign next to Components to expand it
  • Click Problem Devices. Anything appear?
  • If yes, click on it, Ctrl-A to select all, Ctrl-C to copy it, Ctrl-V to paste into next post

4. Now you also try using the product CD again (it come with the product? was your packaged sealed? or did it look like someone might have opened it and returned it before you got it - i.e. wondering if the install CD might be wrong for that device)

Thanks for your help. Ill get that info and post it. The Belkin tech support had me try uninstalling and reinstalling the device and program a few times. He also thought maybe the program disc was wrong and had me download the setup and drivers directly from belkin.com. I've also tried reinstalling the previous adapter Ive had for the last year and it did the same thing. Windows seems tohave trouble recognizing any devices that require drivers as my other USB devices still work.
mouse keyboard etc.. I'll check problem devices and post my findings. thanks..

Ray

I just had another thought.. .I wonder if Belkin is installing an unsigned driver and your XP is configured to Block unsigned driver installs.

> Rt click My Computer->Properties->Hardware
> Click Driver Signing
> Is it set to Block? In any case, suggest you set to Warn then check box to Make this action system default
> Click OK close all the windows and reboot

Now reinstall. Are you now warned that you are installing an unsigned driver? If so, click Continue

Ok heres the info from the run menu:

Belkin Surf & Share wireless USB adapter USB\VID_050D&PID_845A\00E04C000001
This device is not working properly because Windows cannot load the drivers required for this device

I also checked to see if the unsigned drivers were blocked and it was already set to warn.. any other ideas

thanks again I really appreciate it..

Ray

OK. So do you ever see a message pop Warning you about unsigned drivers???

I've sometimes also seen where this msg pop-up gets hidden behind the installation process screen. Why don't set the option to Ignore and try again. In meantime, i'll take a look at the info you provided when i can and get back to you when i can

/* edit */
Could you also post the link to the Belkin driver download you tried?

Also....

Have you tried this driver? (is it what you've been trying?)

Also.. can you continue the install process without plugging in the device? i.e. if you can try to complete it if possible whether the device is plugged in or not, and then reboot. Then simply plug the device. Do you still get the Add Hardware Wizard??

Is your CPU Intel or AMD?

Are you 32 or 64 bit Windows? Click for how to determine whether you are running 32 or 64 bit windows

Are you SP2 or SP3?

Have you run Windows Update and clicked Custom to install all Hardware optional updates.

Pls answer my questions above.

also.. fyi... i download the Belkin driver and ran the installer on my XP test machine.
It installs, i see it prompt to insert the USB device and wait. I inserted my webcam and
> I got the Add Hardware Wizard PLUS
> I get the Belkin install wizard finishing and asking me to reboot

So ignore the Add Hardware Wizard and cancel it. Unplug the device and reboot.

Once Windows start, re-insert the device. Do you still see the Add Hardware Wizard after rebooting?

I have an Intel athlon. Its 32 bit and I have my updates set to auto update. And Its service pack 3

I'm pretty sure Auto Update on XP will only install critical updates, not optional updates.

Run Windows update, select Custom, select and install every hardware optional update. Reboot and run update again till it finally has no more h/w updates.

Uninstall the Belkin stuff. The run it again, then like mentioned above if Add Hardware wizard still appears, just unplug the device, reboot, and then plug it back and tell me if still same or different./

I dont have access to the router so my laptop is the only way I can access the web. is there anyway to save updates to my flash drive or can I setup a network from my laptop to my desktop with an ethernet cable... what a pain this has turned into. thanks so much for the help.

by the way, once you do all the above, including reinstalling, rebooting, then plugging in the device back in... if you should still get the Add Hardware Wizard, pls re-run the Problem Device Report just to make sure it's still the Belkin Device (and not now something else) appearing in the report

I dont have access to the router so my laptop is the only way I can access the web. is there anyway to save updates to my flash drive or can I setup a network from my laptop to my desktop with an ethernet cable... what a pain this has turned into. thanks so much for the help.

Ray

Ray

OH.Hmmm.. just saw your post....

I don't know about that. There might be but don't really know...

One solution might be to buy a different wireless adapter you use and subsequently return for refund (or you might end up even needing/keeping it anyway should our efforts fail to work)

Sorry, for double post, but i know you're reading this in real-time so want to make sure you see it (vs. me editing last post)

I think a problem with the downloading updates to a flash drive approach.. is we need update to run on the problem computer so windows can choose the h/w updates needed for that specific h/w. It might be different hardware for your other computer which wouldn't apply to computer with the problem

So anyway to run ethernet cable to problem computer? or move the router> or u might need buy another adapter to use for awhile then return it to get full credit

But in any case, why don't you, for now, at least try re-running the install as described above with the reboot and after reboot plug in device and seeing if still a problme and checking problem report again (even if you don't have the updates yet)

And, btw, happy to give it my best shot :)

OH. Another thought i should've have thought of earlier. Have you checked your system restore points??? Maybe you have a system restore for a date before the this whole problem started???? If so, try System Restore

Also do you have Windows install CDs cause it's also quite possible that's something is corrupt and Windows repair or even a full reinstall might be the final solution

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back