Problems opening/uninstalling IE9

BobDylan

Hi there,

Firstly, I really hope this is in the right section. If it's not, then I really can't apologise enough! I have used this forum in the past and it has really been useful.

Basically, I have been having some issues with Internet Explorer 9. Whenever I try and open it, it pops up on the screen for a milisecond then dissapears. It never opens.

I wanted to uninstall it, so went about it what I think is the proper way ( Start, type Programs and Features in the search box, Under Uninstall an update, scroll down to the Microsoft Windows section, then choose it). But when I do this it says: An error has occured. Not all of the updates were successfully uninstalled. If I try to turn it off, it says something similiar.

I have tried to download a different type of IE, but it just tells me I have the most up to date version.

It's funny, because I actually don't usually use IE. But I occasionally use Vuze (a torrent site) which apparently uses uses embedded IE components to show web content and some of its own pages. Vuze hasn't been searching properly for me, which I guess is linked with IE not working.

I am using Windows 7 Home Premium. Version 6.1. My laptop is a HP Pavilion DV6.

I would really appreciate any help. Like I said, Im really sorry if this is in the wrong section.

First of all IE is part of the OS so it can't be un installed. You might be able to roll back to IE 8 but not sure.
Personally, I think you'd be better off with Firefox
or SeaMonkey

I see. Like I said, I only really wanted it to work so I could use Vuze again. Oh well, no worries.

Thanks for your help.

Perhaps some add-ons are causing the problem. How you tried disabling all add-ons and see whether IE will start? From Control Panel select Internet Properties, click on the Programs tab, then Manage Add-ons. On the left, where it says Show:, select All add-ons, with all add-ons showing on the right, highlight them all and disable all of them.

You have ruled out virus/malware causing IE9's problem?

Back