Problems with HD 6870, intermittent disk boot failure

Mechagran

After various posts i purchased an HD6870 on recommendation (2nd hand) and a new 2tb hd to install win7 64.

I had previously ( as of yesterday) a gtx 280 which i was running via a 6pin pci express and an adaptor to pci-e ( 8 pin).

Having unplugged my gtx280 and sold it, i made the cardinal sin of doing so without taking off the graphics drivers of the old card, but thought it would at least run in crap mode once plugged in until i popped the drivers on...

Guess whats coming? No display, ive done all the various checks, swapped pins, cables, slots blah blah- the fan on the card runs, the psu has enough power but i cannot get a screen up at all and so im a bit stuffed!

Specs are:-

Amd athlon 3ghz (6000) dual core (2x64)
Win 7 32 bit at the mo
Asus m2n32 sli deluxe ( presumably onboard graphics- but only hdmi and no adaptor from vga)
Tagan 530W psu ( 2x 22A 12 v rails) modular
Annoying hd 6870 1gb gpu.

Im getting a bit stressed out, i assume the gpu just requires the two 6 pin cables from psu to gpu and that should do the trick? Please help!!

An update:- so now i have a display screen but am stuck on the motherboard loading screen and have intermittent DISK BOOT FAILURE! hurrah! Going to swap a few sata cables around, erff and on it goes!

Back