Problems with McAfee

I have an msi model u210 laptop running xp home with mcafee.
the problem is that I have to click on the screen to keep the screen active.
if I dont, I cannot type anything or have any keyboard control.
so far I have had to left click at least 6 times just doing this post.
I cannot bring up the "system information" or "system restore".
I am a casual user in terms of technical expertise...

help is needed
Thank you

I wouldn't use McAfee even if it were free but anything is a good deal better than nothing. Before you uninstall McAfee download an alternative replacement freeware AV program. I'd suggest one from Avira, AVG or Microsoft Security Essentials.

Well, I downloaded a shareware version of malware bytes (I think thats what it called), ran it and found 5 malware files which were removed.
a couple days later, the computer is back to normal. I ran a scan with mcafee and advanced system care and all is well.
I am not sure just what fixed it but like the old saying goes, if it works dont fix it.
I am thinking about looking for a better antivirus/firewall.
it would be nice to scan and find problems BEFORE they get "settled in for a long winters nap".
I had the ram upgraded to 4 or 6 gb (I forget what it was)
Thank you everyone.

I've found Malwarebytes to be excellent too but be aware that the free version doesn't give constant protection. It's very useful to run occasionally or as you've done when there are suspicions that all is not well. Uninstalling and replacing McAfee AV needs to be a priority.

Nobody has suggested that you give up Windows.
"I am thinking about looking for a better antivirus/firewall." It's time to put the thought into action. There's plenty of excellent freeware.

Nobody has suggested that you give up Windows.
"I am thinking about looking for a better antivirus/firewall." It's time to put the thought into action. There's plenty of excellent freeware.
Of course everybody has their own opinion, but I think Avast is the best. As far as firewalls go, as long as you have no programs calling home, why not use the firewall your pc came with.
I've always thought a 3rd party firewall was a MUST till I accidentally removed mine. I've had no problems with the default firewall on my XP Pro.
But, to each their own, have a great day.

Of course everybody has their own opinion, but I think Avast is the best. I've always thought a 3rd party firewall was a MUST till I accidentally removed mine. I've had no problems with the default firewall on my XP Pro.

There can be a significant difference between firewalls. For instance, ZoneAlarm (which is my preference) asks permission and keeps a future note of all software that tries to talk outwards into the internet. I find this a valuable feature. MS firewall does not do that AFAIK.

gbhall, I've read where the ZA firewall is bloated. It was my original firewall up till about 6 years ago then I started using others.
I know the MS firewall on XP is one way, so as long as one don't have programs calling home, they're ok. So I've heard.

Back