Program to view folder sizes

Cremaster

I find I am digging in my computer all the time. Sometimes it is for things like folder size. The other day I noted that windows had to rebuild icons on my desk top and apps were slow to close or open. Also the windows open would refuse to close (or probably waiting to close) and if they did the graphics closed them in slow motion, sort of like a window shade being pulled down. I suspected a memory issue. Checking Task manager showed some processes using lots of memory. I checked My Computer to see if I had a filled partition which I did not, but one that was close. I had to go to folders and click the Properties to see the folder size and try to find the culprit. It ended up that somehow my page file was moved from D:\ to C:\. I moved it back to where it was susposed to be and my memory issues have vanished.

So is there a nice free program that would show FOLDER SIZE (not file size) on maybe the standard explorer list? Most of my explorer views are set up to show details but the detail it leaves out is folder size.

Image1-1.jpg

for win 7

Any that works on Windows 7 64 and 32 bit versions?

I looked for this about a year ago and never found anything.

Trillionsin said:
Any that works on Windows 7 64 and 32 bit versions?

I looked for this about a year ago and never found anything.

That link to the program that i gave works on Win 7 32 bit...Not sure about 64 bit though.

That link to the program that i gave works on Win 7 32 bit...Not sure about 64 bit though.

Unfortunately it doesnt seem to work properly. I keep getting an error "Unable to open directory... " and after I go through the first series of folders it starts over in a cycle. After holding down "Enter" key and about 50 some (I really have no idea) of these dialog boxes opened up, they finally stopped. Tried running as admin, too. Sorry to say that this program isnt very useful for this, in my opinion.

However, I was speaking more directly integrated with windows explorer, kind of like what you see with the original poster's picture.

Unfortunately it doesnt seem to work properly. I keep getting an error "Unable to open directory... " and after I go through the first series of folders it starts over in a cycle. After holding down "Enter" key and about 50 some (I really have no idea) of these dialog boxes opened up, they finally stopped. Tried running as admin, too. Sorry to say that this program isnt very useful for this, in my opinion.

However, I was speaking more directly integrated with windows explorer, kind of like what you see with the original poster's picture.

Well it works alright on mine bud..I aint had any bones with it.

This seems to be an explorer style program. It works with both 32 and 64 bit. I haven't tried it myself, but it looks ok.

http://www.jam-software.com/freeware/

Link didnt point me to the right place. No biggie. Thanks anyways, Benny26. I'm looking for an add-in like the "folder size" add-in that they have for XP.

Edit: Only that I am looking for it to work on Windows 7 64 bit

The app JMMD linked works on both 32 and 64-bit, and there's even a very similar program for the Mac. I've also used TreeSize Pro which does the same thing.

The app JMMD linked works on both 32 and 64-bit, and there's even a very similar program for the Mac. I've also used TreeSize Pro which does the same thing.

Thanks, I've also used Tree Size Pro, but have you read any other replies in this thread? Just wondering.

Trillionsin said:
Link didnt point me to the right place

That's strange. When i click that link, it redirects also....:suspiciou

If i copy the address into the address bar though, it works fine...I'm not sure why it's redirecting like that.

My fault - I don't know of anything that adds it to explorer and was just giving alternatives as you guys were. I was merely pointing out with my post that I've used those apps in both 32 and 64 bit environments and they both worked since there was some insecurity about whether they worked in both.

So why do you guys think Microsoft would not include an easy way to view folder sizes when you open a window. Just wondering.

So why do you guys think Microsoft would not include an easy way to view folder sizes when you open a window. Just wondering.

I remember reading a little about this. Apparently they changed the way Explorer managed the columns for details, the interface, or facade...I cant quite remember the word for it, and unfortunately I didn't quite understand when I read it.. so don't quote me here.

Another thing I read was that this can halt, or slow down systems normal processes because its going to sit there and determine the size of each folder when you open a directory. Again, don't quote... just things I read when I was trying to get the "Folder Size" program that worked for XP to work on Windows 7.

I just realized that you are the original poster. Have you found the Folder Size app that was made for Windows XP?

Google that and you may find it easily. However, like I said in my previous post, it doesnt work with Windows 7.

Having looked around some major utility websites, it's not looking too good for Windows 7 at the moment :(

Having looked around some major utility websites, it's not looking too good for Windows 7 at the moment :(

Thanks for looking some more, Benny. I've exhausted my efforts with google. No need to keep searching for me, but I appreciate it.

Thanks for looking some more, Benny. I've exhausted my efforts with google. No need to keep searching for me, but I appreciate it.

Yeah, Google can only really scratch the surface...It looks like the best for Win 7 is a small program that just scans the folders and then gives you the info in a little window.

I'm sure it won't be long before something comes along though. Utilities come out by the bucket load every day.

Back