Programs and features/revo

circusboy01

To uninstall programs. I have W7 Programs and Features, and Revo. For some things I have to use P&F for some Revo, and some things show up on both. Just curious. Does anybody know how it's determined what program will do the uninstalling?

I understand how things might appear in Revo but not P&F (but not the other way around :confused:) but before we get to the answer why, open Revo, click Options->Uninstaller. Verify both the following are unchecked: Show System Updates and Show System Components. Any differences between Revo and P&F now? Is so, please give a couple program examples of each

I understand how things might appear in Revo but not P&F (but not the other way around :confused:) but before we get to the answer why, open Revo, click Options->Uninstaller. Verify both the following are unchecked: Show System Updates and Show System Components. Any differences between Revo and P&F now? Is so, please give a couple program examples of each

Show system updates, and Show system Components are already unchecked.

For some things I have to use P&F for some Revo, and some things show up on both. Just curious. Does anybody know how it's determined what program will do the uninstalling?
First some background info regarding your question.....
Every application program installer leaves information in the registry about the program it just installed. This includes an "Uninstall String". The Uninstall String is the command to be invoked in order to uninstall the application. Every uninstaller tool (like Windows P&F, Revo, and others) read the registry to learn 1) what's installed and 2) the Uninstall String to uninstall it. It's all contained within
Code:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall
If you'd like to see a nice tabular display of the gnarly registry data, download and run MyUninstaller from Nirsoft. Just scroll right to see each programs Uninstall String.

Windows P&F vs. Revo
Windows loves to hide things! And programs that install themselves can leave an indicator in the registry if they want to be displayed in Windows P&F or not! MyUninstaller shows everything.

When it comes time to uninstall, both P&F and Revo look in the registry to find and then invoke the same Uninstaller String. The difference between the two is when the app uninstaller is done Revo goes "above and beyond" to analyze the disk and registry to try and find things left behind. (Not all app uninstallers do a good job of cleaning up after themselves!)

So the above is why you will see some entries in Revo that are not in P&F (and all entries appear in MyUninstaller). If that's not the case, please tell what's in P&F that's not in Revo?

Back