Programs on Windows XP mce are randomly crashing

Status
Not open for further replies.

intense

My computer recently (2 days ago) just started to randomly crash programs! I didn't do anything on it like install new programs or anything and programs started to crash such as, AIM, firefox, warcraft 3, malware bytes, and some other random ones. At first i thought it was some sort of virus messing with my computer so i manually updated malware bytes and then i rebooted in safe mode and scanned my computer with it and with kaspersky. Nothing came up though and i don't know what else to do! it's driving me nuts =[
help please!

thanks,
michael

Are you getting Blue Screens of Death? If so, what error codes are they displaying?

Have you checked your system temperatures? Overheating will shut down a system fast.

thanks for the reply!
no im not getting blue screens of death and i don't think my system is overheating because whenever i stick my hand in this hole (my computer is designed weird! haha its a sony vgc-rc210g) all i feel is cold air because its liquid cooled.

Okay, then run Memtest on your RAM. This is free and quite safe. It will boot up almost immediately as you boot up your system. Keep in mind it needs to run for a minimum of 7 Passes with 8 individual tests per Pass. This takes time but well worth it.

See link: https://www.techspot.com/vb/topic62524.html

* Get back to us with the results.

I did the memtest on both memory sticks (512 mb ddr2-4200) and they both passed 8 passes with no errors.

yes it did. now my desktop is just showing me the active desktop recovery =[ i don't like the way this is going.

Here is the thing: a) I never heard of Delta psu's and b) unless it is certain Antec cases (and I believe a few Thermaltake) 99.99% of the psu's that come with a case are utterly garbage. I highly doubt you're even getting 100 watts out of that thing.

A good PSU is vital to the stability of a system. Are you able to borrow a psu and hook it up to your system to see if you gain stability?

Here is an example of a good 400w power supply at a great price: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817104052

Give us the rest of your system specs.

hmm i'm not sure. but i've been using the psu for the whole time since i've received the computer (4 yrs). could it really be that the psu burned out and is causing this instability? not sure if that really helps but i 'll just put it out there, i ran cpuid and it said that my core voltage is around 12.5V

could it also be that i have a bad hard drive? because when the system went completely instable this morning (antivirus crashed, desktop crashed, etc) aim said "Application popup: aim6.exe - Corrupt File : The file or directory \WINDOWS\system32 is corrupt and unreadable. Please run the Chkdsk utility."

and just before that the event viewer said that there was a ntfs error and that "The file system structure on the disk is corrupt and unusable. Please run the chkdsk utility on the volume C:."

just got the edited info and the rest of my system specs are: (copied directly from the sony page)
Processor
Type : Intel® Pentium® D Processor 930
Speed : 3GHz1
Front Side Bus Speed : 800MHz
L2 Cache : 4 (2MBx2)
Technology : Intel® Dual Core

Hard Drive
Capacity : 320GB (160GBx2) 2
Speed : 7200rpm
Interface : SATA (RAID 0)

Power
Power Management : ACPI 1.0 Compliant
Power Requirements : 100-240V
Power Consumption : 400W (max.)

Memory
Type : DDR2
Installed : 1GB (PC2-4200)
Maximum : 2GB
Speed : 533MHz

Graphics
Processor : ATI Radeon® X300 Graphics
Video RAM : 128 DDR SDRAM Video Memory
Chipset : Intel® 945P
Interface : TV-Out, VGA Out, DVI-D Out, x16 PCI Express
Format(s) Supported : Giga Pocket® MPEG2 Realtime Encoder board with TV Tuner

I personally wouldn't trust that psu BUT it seems to have been stable for you. Checking the harddrive would certainly be advisable. Find the manufacturer of your HD's and download their free diagnostic utility.

Could it be your RAID configuration is beginning to have issues?

hmm i don't know. how would i go around to check the RAID configuration? i've opened up intel matrix storage and it says that my raids are okay and that it's functioning normally but nothing about the configuration of it.

Edit:
just ran the WD diagnostic and the hard drives passed which still leaves me clueless =[. i was planning on running a chkntfs but apparently everytime i load up cmd my desktop (explorer.exe) crashes!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back