PS4 and PC on the same network. Online gaming question.

I have access to the Internet from a neighbor who has given me his password. I have a PS4 and I want to play online but I am afraid that the neighbor's connection will be affected because it also plays online rpg's. My question is how many people can play online at the same time as PCs and PS4s. What happens to these cases in pings, lags etc?

Typically the connection to online games doesn't use more than a few hundred Kbps. Other types of traffic though and a maxed connection can cause problems and latency. So the real answer to your question is: It depends. Games themselves should be alright assuming that the internet connection is a few Mbps.

It depends on the actual speed of the connection. Most games can play on 10mb download. However if others want to use the connection to say stream aka youtube or Netflix, then there will be issues. Streaming is more demanding than gaming.
So can it be done, yes but there are factors that can play in. If there are no factors then both of you should play just fine without affecting each other.

Quality of your and his equipement can also play a factor. Best to use your own equipement than rely on the ISPs.

Go here to see what kind of bandwidth you have: http://www.bandwidthplace.com/

Sharing a wifi connection over some distance will certainly reduce YOUR bandwidth, but due to that reduction, you will have nill effect on the owner IMO.

Back