PSU strong enough to OC my i5-750 CPU?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skycptn

Hello out there,

I'm OC'ing my i5-750 from its stock 2.66 ghz to 3.3 ghz. I have a Noctura heatsink that came with two fans, but right now I'm just using one to push air through. I'm thinking of adding the second one as well, to have a push/pull functionality. And then there's a fan at the back of this to suck air out that's part of the case set-up.

Question: Does my Antec 750 PSU have enough power to OC my CPU and allow these extra fans? I know that OC'ing an i5-750 increases the watts considerably.

Thanks everyone :)

Lian Li case, W7 64-bit, ASUS P7P55D-PRO, i5-750 OC 3.3 ghz, Noctura heatsink, Radeon 5870, Antec 750 PSU, DDR3 1600 mhz

Actually, overvolting a CPU will increase Watts by a fair bit.

However, I think your PSU should be able to handle anything you throw at it in terms of overvolting.

Overclocking your 750 even without raising Vcore will add 20-25 watts to the stock 95w (115-120). Going to the Intel max. recommended 1.4v turns your 95 watter into ~135-140 watts.
It's more about heat dissipation than any extra power delivery you need to find.

Spot on as usual, here's my 95W x3 720 Oc @ 3.8/1.512 V

**** im responding to HK's comments and illustrating OC/w increase, not suggesting at all that you volt your intel to 1.5V. Intels High-k / Metal Gate is more sensitive to additional voltage than AMD's SOI process.

Attachments

• OC wattage.JPG
    OC wattage.JPG
    43.9 KB · Views: 12
Two new issues (and thank you all for responses)

Thanks everyone for the great responses. Good to know my PSU is sufficient (it's also fairly new).

And now for a new, totally unrelated issue: a few days ago for the first time ever I started to get some artifacts on the screen. They went away and haven't come back, but it makes me a little worried. Otherwise my system is working fine. Do you think I should reinstall my graphics card drivers? I did a scan disk, mem check, W7 OS check, malware check, etc, all came back with no problems.

And one last thing: with my Radeon 5870, I have two ports in the back for the same adapter. It seems it doesn't matter which one I use, but I'm wondering if there's a (mis)configuration of some kind between my GPU and something in my PC. Are there any settings I should check for consistency between my GPU, monitor, etc?

THANK YOU ALL !!! Your responses are greatly appreciated :)

Lian Li case, W7 64-bit, ASUS P7P55D-PRO, i5-750 OC 3.3 ghz, Noctura heatsink, Radeon 5870, Antec 750 PSU, DDR3 1600 mhz

And one last thing: with my Radeon 5870, I have two ports in the back for the same adapter. It seems it doesn't matter which one I use, but I'm wondering if there's a (mis)configuration of some kind between my GPU and something in my PC. Are there any settings I should check for consistency between my GPU, monitor, etc?
Differential detection seems to be an issue with some of the onboard graphics setups. They'll only light one monitor during POST, and favor one type of input over the other. With the 2 identical ports, the #1 monitor will switch between whichever is plugged in.

I had this with a damaged 7600GT card that only had the blue color channel working. No matter which port I plugged the monitor into, all I got was blue until the other monitor lit. Then I could see what I was doing. Switch ports with the monitors, same result.

As to the PSU, I think you'd have to add some serious drive and USB hardware to need a bigger one. Try Antec's PSU calculator : http://www.antec.outervision.com/ I think you;ll see what I mean. It has provisions for taking into account overclocking.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back