PSU woes

Hi everyone,

This is my first post here and I come in need of help. I just assembled my first pc (hurray!) I followed guides on how to build similar set ups to what i was getting. But when it came time to first turn it on, I see a spark in the PSU and hear a loud popping noise. Before I tried to turn it on I triple checked to make sure that everything was all installed perfectly and then again after. After reading stories on here about whole systems being fried from a bad power supply I haven't dared try turning it on again incase of frying the rest of my components (if I haven't already).

So my question is how do I trouble shoot this with out harming my other parts and confirm that it is my PSU that's causing the problem and not something with my motherboard?

My specs are;

Intel i5 760
Asus p7p55d-e pro
Gskill Ripjaws 2x2gb 1600
eVGA GTX 460 1gb
Seagate 500gb barracuda
Lian-li lancool k58
Antec true power new 650w

Thanks for any help in advance

Jackson

You were wise not to attempt to turn on the PC again after the spark and popping noise in the power supply. Clearly that's not supposed to happen. I would return the PSU for replacement. Install the new one and see if the PC will start. If not, cross that bridge when you get there.

Do you have access to any spare parts to test with if needed?

Back