Purported image of RTX 3080 Ti leaks

midian182

Staff member
In brief: Nvidia’s Ampere-based consumer graphics cards arrive later this year, and we might have got our first look at the potential flagship: the RTX 3080 Ti. We're also hearing rumors that the high-end Ampere cards could use Samsung's 8nm fab process, rather than TSMC's 7nm alternative.

The image was shared by VideoCardz, which claims it comes from an internal Asus meeting where new graphics card designs were being showcased. If that really is the case, this might just be one of several possible designs suggested for the RTX 3080 Ti, though it could be close to the final design.

As with so many other images that appear online, there’s a chance this is a complete fake, but VideoCardz updated their article to stress it really does come from an Asus meeting. That “3080 Ti” and “ROG Strix” text looks like it would be pretty tiny on a final design, though.

The card features three fans and looks quite similar to the Asus ROG Strix 2080 Ti. The two-tone metal, rivets, and angular shape might be a bit love-it-or-hate-it, but it’s certainly better than the RTX 3080 prototype we saw last month.

If this is the real deal, it might suggest we won’t see the rumored RTX 3090, with Ampere adopting the same Turing naming scheme and jumping from the RTX 3080 Ti to the new Titan card. That said, another rumor claims we’ll see an RTX 3080, RTX 3080 Ti, RTX 3090, and an Ampere Titan.

Part PCB Chip Model Extension Memory Interface TBP Connectors
SKU10 PG132 GA102 RTX 3090 (Ti/Super)* 24 GB GDDR6X
(Double-Sided)
384-bt 350 W 3x DP, HDMI
NVLink
SKU20 PG132 GA102 RTX 3080 (Ti/Super)* 11 GB GDDR6X* 352-bit* 320 W 3x DP, HDMI
SKU30 PG132 GA102 RTX 3080 none 10 GB GDDR6X 320-bit 320 W 3x DP, HDMI

Separately, TechPowerUp reports that the Ampere family of GPUs will be built almost entirely on Samsung's 8 nanometer silicon fabrication process that's derived from its 10nm node, rather than TSMC’s 7nm process. It’s all speculation, of course, but we did hear that Nvidia is tapping Samsung to partly produce its post-Ampere architecture, Hopper.

Permalink to story.

I wonder how much the 3090 will cost. Any predictions guys? Pretty safe to say $1,500 to $2000?

Separately, TechPowerUp reports that the Ampere family of GPUs will be built almost entirely on Samsung's 8 nanometer silicon fabrication process that's derived from its 10nm node, rather than TSMC’s 7nm process.
That's not necessarily a bad thing - Samsung's 8LPP is significantly denser than TSMC's 12FFN (used to fabricate the Turing line) - the high density version of it is roughly the same as the density seen with the GA100 chip.

I'm willing to bet even the 60 tier will be no less than 600 for months after launch. Not msrp of course, but what they will actually retail for. 70 tier 800-1000, 80 tier up to 1300, ti tier bare minimum 1500, could be over 2k and the 90 will start at 2k.

I suspect the “3090” is just the Ampere Titan... my target is the 3070 Super, maybe next year, but I’m curious about the price Nvidia is going to ask for these cards.

That image is either a very poorly designed cooler or a fake. I'd give 10 to one odds on being fake. Furthermore when has a ti ever had the same rated wattage as a non ti.

That image is either a very poorly designed cooler or a fake. I'd give 10 to one odds on being fake. Furthermore when has a ti ever had the same rated wattage as a non ti.
What is poorly designed in that cooler ? It is quite similar to the 2080 Ti cooler...

I'd say $2,500 for the win.

Ok I am going to cry myself to sleep now. Or start looking to donate organs (they ****ed anyway so doubt anyone wants em).

In all seriousness if I have time to save up I might get it. The 24GB VRAM is going to be handy in editing, maybe overkill for 4K/6K content tho.

Ok I am going to cry myself to sleep now. Or start looking to donate organs (they ****ed anyway so doubt anyone wants em).

In all seriousness if I have time to save up I might get it. The 24GB VRAM is going to be handy in editing, maybe overkill for 4K/6K content tho.

I wouldn't consider that overkill, especially if you intend to max out all settings in games at 4K. Given the horsepower of Ampere, I expect even the RTX 3080-or whatever it will be called-to handle 4K comfortably.

What is poorly designed in that cooler ? It is quite similar to the 2080 Ti cooler...
The fans are inside the heat sink ^^. Part of the heat sink would then have no air flow. A 2080 ti and anything besides a blower the fan would be on the outside of the heat sink, on top of the heat sink for lack of better word. Secondly, the supposed heat sinks below the fan do not have gaps wide enough to be anything near normal. Maybe as a vrm heat sink on a mobo with no fan on em. But at that thickness of metal and narrowness of the gaps. It makes no sense on a video card.

Take a look my friend. I didn't want to get into detail, so someone else could make a better fake. p.s. there are few other wonky things about that card I won't mention, so I can spot em on the next fake.

Last edited:
The fans are inside the heat sink ^^. Part of the heat sink would then have no air flow. A 2080 ti and anything besides a blower the fan would be on the outside of the heat sink, on top of the heat sink for lack of better word. Secondly, the supposed heat sinks below the fan do not have gaps wide enough to be anything near normal. Maybe as a vrm heat sink on a mobo with no fan on em. But at that thickness of metal and narrowness of the gaps. It makes no sense on a video card.

Take a look my friend. I didn't want to get into detail, so someone else could make a better fake. p.s. there are few other wonky things about that card I won't mention, so I can spot em on the next fake.
I don’t know, but I can see fins under the fans, so we don’t know how thick is the card yet.
It could be a fake, but I’m not sure.

Can't wait for Ampere. RELEASE IT PLEASE. Need HDMI 2.1 natively ASAP and a true generational leap instead of silly Turing.

Back