Qualcomm patents design for tri-screen mobile device

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matthew DeCarlo

Staff

A recent patent filing by Qualcomm reveals a quirky, though interesting device. While Apple and others are rushing to churn out tablets with one display, Qualcomm is creating a design that has many. The multi-fold tablet would have three touchscreens with a dynamic interface that changes depending on how you use the device.

When folded, the system would have a small form factor and behave has a cell phone. As it unpacks, it could take on various roles based on how the screens are positioned. Mentioned user interface styles include panorama, desktop, application, Web browser, alarm clock, media player, and others.

There's no word on whether Qualcomm's collapsible mobile device will ever see the light of day, much less specifics on hardware or pricing. If you're looking to kill some time, head over to the USPTO site to read the complete patent entry.

Permalink to story.

I was thinking a few days ago how it would be to have a flexibile screen, something with a 1" diagonal that you can pull and extend it to 7". This seems really cool and something that can be done and not science fiction.

if they can make is solid i think this is an amazing concept

i really love the concept

Wow...that's pretty trippy! Definitely be interesting to see a full-blown working model.

This is awesome! What a device! Hope it isn't expensive...It's the best netbook alternative...

don't understand the need of another screen..
let's see how it'll look like when it's finiished

Seems kind of cool, mostly the new gadget part. But from that to real day to day use...I don't see it.

I have dreamed of this concept for awhile ... though this implementation is much better than what I was thinking of ... very, very cool.

This concept seems to boast more of novelty value then actual use. The screens would crack easily if held in a pocket or a bag. Another cool addition to this would be something of a solar panel on the top screen, so when you have it in like a notebook stance, you have the top screen bent over facing the sun, and that powers the device.

That is by far one of the most interesting ideas I've seen lately. If they do release it lets hope they figure out a good way to reinforce the hinges.

Looks interesting, but I guess I just don't do enough with my phone to get excited over things like this.

Well sure looks interesting. The biggest issue to me with mobile tablets is durability. I want something I can drop or bounce around with out damaging the unit. I hope I live to see the day when you can roll them up or fold them up anyway you want.
kozman

This looks like a more filmy device., but the novelty will surely stand to giv t more rep in the marker (atleast for sometime when introduced)., ppl , jus like me wud luv to see t in their hands.. Waiting for more news on it., But wat i feel abt qualcomm is they are reinventing the wheel ., after apple n other companies giving out best of the touchscreens., this is jus another complicated design of the predecessors., designs to win, need not be complex. . they need to be simple to stand the needs of people..

it looks like a futuristic device!it has more screens which implies that it is more prone to breakage and it must be handled delicately! but it is a good approach! i loved the concept!
but the question is - do we need things like this? ( when a laptop can easily fulfill all our needs )

Sounds really really cool and state of the art, I'm wondering what the warranty would be on these things...all glass phone? LOL, an accident waiting to happen.

I don't see this being mobile just like that, portable yes but you walking around with that thing? no.

I'd be worried about durability. It's an amazing concept, though...an idea that changes form and function based on physical configuration and/or environment. Hope they can pull this off...

Good move to get a patent if you have a great idea but there is either no funding or no market for the product yet.

This is an interesting patent. The first independent claim is fairly specific, it might make it kind of hard to find prior art. Based on how the patent system works no one will look at this for at least 2 or 3 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back