Question about 1.1 and 2.0 speed

Status
Not open for further replies.
lol oh , yea i was thinking that. Because i have a tiny usb hub 2.0, and when i hook it up to the back of my tower, i did not see a speed increase. Just was curious if i bought a better version would it do it. I have USB 2.0 PCI card, but for some reason when i hook up my external HD to it, my computer becomes bottleneck. I was trying to figure out why it was doing it, but i can't figure it out.

Oh well. Thanks anyways :)

Buy a 2 or 3 port USB 2 PCI card - you'll get ~66 MB/s versus 1.1 rate of 12 MB/s max.

Well, W2K SP4 supports USB 2.0.

ref: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/319973

The only remedy I can think of is changing PCI slots (to get a different IRQ share). You may also have the option of turning off unused ports (serial or com) and disabling the onboard USB 1.1 to free up IRQ's/resources.

Well, W2K SP4 supports USB 2.0.

ref: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/319973

The only remedy I can think of is changing PCI slots (to get a different IRQ share). You may also have the option of turning off unused ports (serial or com) and disabling the onboard USB 1.1 to free up IRQ's/resources.

:) I just finish reinstalling windows, so i am using ACPI mode. So i really can't change my IRq'S anymore, but i may be able to free them up as you said.

Question, how do you turn off serial or com ports and is this going to affect performance or anything?

Question 2, how do i disable onboard usb 1.1?

Question, how do you turn off serial or com ports and is this going to affect performance or anything?

If it does you'll get an 'error' so just turn it on again.

You turn them off in Device Manager. Usually (sic) you can turn 1 off no problemo.

Question 2, how do i disable onboard usb 1.1?

In Bios. It's yours, you look.

:)

Update:

Actually i can use my external HD hook up to my usb 2.0 slot. It seems like my Visiontek 2400HD is causing the bottleneck. Breakdown:

500GB external hd + USB 2.0 PCI card = No bottleneck

500GB external hd + USB 2.0 PCI card + 2400HD = bottleneck.

So i guess my question now is, what should i disable in device manager so my 2400hd is not being shared with my other devices, here are my irq's:

[IRQs]

IRQ Number Device
9 Microsoft ACPI-Compliant System
9 VIA USB Universal Host Controller
9 VIA USB Universal Host Controller
9 VIA USB Enhanced Host Controller
9 PCI standard PCI-to-PCI bridge
9 ATI Radeon HD 2400 Series
9 Intel(r) 82801AA USB Universal Host Controller
8 System CMOS/real time clock
13 Numeric data processor
12 Microsoft PS/2 Mouse
1 Standard 101/102-Key or Microsoft Natural PS/2 Keyboard
4 Communications Port (COM1)
14 Primary IDE Channel
15 Secondary IDE Channel
10 Intel(r) 82801AA SMBus Controller

IRQ's that is shared

[Conflicts/Sharing]

Resource Device
IRQ 9 Microsoft ACPI-Compliant System
IRQ 9 VIA USB Universal Host Controller
IRQ 9 VIA USB Universal Host Controller
IRQ 9 VIA USB Enhanced Host Controller
IRQ 9 PCI standard PCI-to-PCI bridge
IRQ 9 ATI Radeon HD 2400 Series
IRQ 9 Intel(r) 82801AA USB Universal Host Controller

Btw, are you sure i can disable onboard usb 1.1 in my bios, i don't know where i would look, if there is even a option.

Hell no, nevermind. I forgot how bad my gaming performance was when my system was being bottleneck. So i am just going to keep my external hd at 1.1 speed and upgrade my internal HD to 160. I would rather keep my performance boost then lose it lol.

Thanks anyways, peace :)

No problem here - was just hoping the PCI slot switch might free up your transfer rates. Useful info for readers (maybe) anyway.

gl

Well i do have a question, My pc is in ACPI mode, can i change it to standard pc mode in the device manager without reinstalling windows again?

Nope its not in the bios, but i can just switch to standard pc mode anytime i want too using device manager. However, i did some benchmarks and i play about 3 games so far, they all perform the same way even with my irq's shared. So it seems even if the devices are shared, its not a problem.

Really the only issue i have is well i can't use usb2.0 and use my 2400HD, haven't tested with my 6200 yet. So i have to just use 1.1 speed and any card i want. And the best option is to just upgrade my internal HD, which i will do soon.

peace :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back