Question about the need for a sound card

Hey peeps,

Building my first rig here, noob alert in this area so offer me patience ;)

I've purchased a ASUS Xonar DG PCI 5.1 Audio Card. The problem being I have now decided to go with a LGA 2011 processor and have chosen the Asus P9X79 PRO Motherboard to sit it in.

Now I know this mobo already has a 7.1 HD sound setup already installed. My question is do I still require the sound card that I've bought?

If there is no advantage then I will send it back.

I will be doing some occasional gaming on this rig and would like to get the best sound out of it, considering the money being spent.

Cheers

Mechageek

The issue here is "best sound". That PCI card you got is a fairly modern card, I read just a bit about it before replying. I did not however read anything about what is onboard your new motherboard.

My gut feeling is that you are better off sending the PCI card back and using onboard. Onboard has came a long ways since the early 2000s.

What are you going to be listening to sound on? What speakers/headphones? I'm not sure this really makes a whole lot of difference because I didn't look up the specific chipsets for making the sound on the card vs what is on the motherboard. But, if one is a definite better chipset then it does matter what headphones or speakers you will be using. If you are using $150+ headphones or speakers, then it may be worth really diving into the better chipset. If you aren't, just go with onboard because it is going to save you money and you won't hear a difference (if there even is any).

Back