Question regarding PCIe Slot

Status
Not open for further replies.

daylightdrifter

Hello!

I currently am running a Asus EN8800GT and have been for some time. However the PCIe X16 slot on my Foxconn motherboard says in the manual that is is a PCIe X16 (signal x1)...this concerns me.

Am I getting the full potential out of my vid card? Or is my PCIe slot restricting some of it's potential due to the signal x1 thing as I'm not sure what that means.

Would it be worth it to upgrade my mother board? I am also running 3gb ddr2 667 if it makes a difference.

Thanks!

thanks for the link...so to put it simply:

My PCIe x16 can physically accept x16 cards, but will only run them at X1 as the 'signal x1' states? Therefore making them run at less than full speed?

If so then I got severely ripped off on this motherboard. I had no idea.

Thanks.

I mean, really what's the point of having a PCIe x16 slot on the motherboard if you can't use the full potential of video cards? It just doesn't make sense.

And yeah, Foxconns site is terrible.

Thank you so much for your help. Would you recommend getting another motherboard or will I really see no difference in performance?

I don't want to comment on which hardware is better to purchase
Most times I just say go buy a Dell !

But I made my system from ground up, (and it's not a Dell)
But sooo many things must be compatable, and it takes a while to decide on all the parts.

Thankfully there are many members here that can advise on what to build (not me though)
You could create a new thread on that, probably in this forum: https://www.techspot.com/vb/menu14.html
I mostly do Windows issues.

If the shoe fits

Hello!

I currently am running a Asus EN8800GT and have been for some time. However the PCIe X16 slot on my Foxconn motherboard says in the manual that is is a PCIe X16 (signal x1)...this concerns me.

Am I getting the full potential out of my vid card? Or is my PCIe slot restricting some of it's potential due to the signal x1 thing as I'm not sure what that means.

Would it be worth it to upgrade my mother board? I am also running 3gb ddr2 667 if it makes a difference.

Thanks!
Wear it.All 3 PCIx slots connect differently.
My asus P5K-VM manual explains it in detail.I use 16x and have no choice.
I must turn off internal in the bios.
You should have 1 green led showing on the mbd to indicate a proper connection,
before booting your computer.Read yours or get a .pdf.It has to be done right.

I mean, really what's the point of having a PCIe x16 slot on the motherboard if you can't use the full potential of video cards? It just doesn't make sense.

And yeah, Foxconns site is terrible.

Thank you so much for your help. Would you recommend getting another motherboard or will I really see no difference in performance?
At x1 yes you will see a performance drop. But at x4 and x8 I wouldn't think you would see one. And if it's at x1, bottleneck.

Could I have your full system specs? That will help me in finding a good motherboard for you.

Currently I have this as a system. Sorry if it isn't fully complete as I don't normally go into this much detail. If you need more info, just let me know and I'll try and find it:

AMD 3800+ X2 Duo processor (I'm hoping to upgrade when I get a new MB)
2GB DDR2 800ghz RAM (I had 3GB but I just took 1G out to put in another PC)
Asus EN8800GT
Foxconn MCP61VM2MA-RS2H motherboard
250GB Hardrive
Antec 500W Power Supply with PCIe connector

I have also run CPUZ and my PCe link is actually only linking at X1. It looks like the motherboard is capping me and that blows. I wish I knew that when I first bought the PC a couple of years ago as I would never have purchased it.

Thanks for all your help guys, you've been great!

Are you sure that motherboard doesn't have a x16 slot? This image says it does if I looked up the motherboard correctly.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ShowImage.aspx?CurImage=13-186-105-04.jpg&Image=13-186-105-02.jpg%2c13-186-105-03.jpg%2c13-186-105-04.jpg%2c13-186-105-05.jpg%2c13-186-105-06.jpg%2c13-186-105-07.jpg%2c13-186-105-08.jpg&S7ImageFlag=0&WaterMark=1&Item=N82E16813186105&Depa=0&Description=Foxconn+MCP61VM2MA-RS2H+Micro+ATX+AMD+Motherboard

EDIT: Oh right, x16 'compatible' hmm... suggests it may actually run at x16 or just accepts x16 cards? I'd assume at that size a slot it probably does run at x16.

Hello again!

I tried the link you sent me but those options are not available in my BIOs setup. I can't find them in any of the menus. I did, however, read the full manual for the motherboard and it states that my "PCIe(X16) supports 250mb/sec bandwith".

Isn't that well below what a full 16 lanes can do? I still don't understand the reasoning behind offering a PCIe X16 slot and then not allowing the user to use it like one.

I wish there were another solution.

thanks again guys

have updated u're BIOS? that might give u the option to make it work better, check at the MOB manufactures website before changing the BIOS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back