Quick sync and CPU's

ingeborgdot

I am not familiar with quick sync so any info for me would sure help. I have looked at some video on it but still would like a little insight. First I would have to have a CPU that supports it I know. But would I need it? I would have discrete card AMD 7790 in the machine in question. What will quick sync help me out with? These machines will be mainly used for video editing. Thanks.

Quicksync helps to greatly reduce rendering times in video editing suites. The E3 has it if I am not mistaken. I dont recommend the 7790 for a video editing machine. The memory bus is slow, and thus, not good for video editing. I would recommend a 2GB GTX 650Ti boost edition or 2GB GTX 660 or 2GB AMD 7850.

Actually, I have done real tests with Nvidia 660 and 570 and AMD 7790 with my software and the AMD does a much better job with my video editing software. The one thing I have read though is that the speed of quicksync greatly reduces quality too. Quality to me is more important so I won't use quicksync if that is the case. I may look at the 7850 but I have found the AMD works better for me. Thanks.

What is better than a 570? And in the terms of sacrificing speed for quality. Not going to happen for me. I would rather wait then have crap.

What programs do you use that utilize quick sync? You can probably disable it for the program or maybe even for the CPU itself.

As for your 7790 results, the AMD performed better just because it can computer OpenCL 3x as fast as nVidia cards. OpenCL is being utilized by Adobe because of a recent deal they signed with AMD. I definitely think you should get a card with higher memory bandwidth, that has helped me in the past with my workstations. Also, you can look into Quadro and FirePro cards, but they get a little pricey and dont offer much of an advantage over gaming cards for video editing.

There was NO more room in the budget for a bigger card. As for quick sync. I don't use it and as it looks never will. Someone on another forum asked me about it and I had never heard of it so I was just setting out some feelers to see what people knew about it.

Xeon E3-1230 V3 on an ASRock Z87 Pro4 for the student computers. I did not go with the 8350 which would have been a great computer. I just know that the 1230 will do a better job for what I am going to do.

Back