Radeon 9800 Pro Problems

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can't play games anymore. I used to play them without a problem, but out of the blue I started getting an error. Whenever I try to start up a game, it would tell me that I need a Directx compatible device to play the game, even when I already had one. I tried reinstalling directx 9.0c, installing new video card drivers, and even omega drivers. When I do dxdiag it says I have directx 9.0c installed, but under directx features DirectDraw acceleration, Direct3D acceleration, and AGP Texture Acceleration are labeled Not Available. What might be the problem?

I was able to run Age of Empires 2 but there were lines of white dots across the screen. Additionally, there are small lines surrounding the cursor when at the desktop screen and internet browsers run like slideshows when I scroll.

EXCellR8

Sounds like your card has fried. If all of your drivers are up to date and you are running the latest version of DirectX 9.0c then I would say the card needs to be replaced. The OS is not recognizing the adapter for some reason preventing you from running any video-demanding apps. Check that everything is good in the Device Manager and maybe look in the BIOS for any incorrect settings.

tweakboy

ATI does have driver issues tho. Soo he may be right or who knows... Probably the latter...EXC is right!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Yeah that sounds reasonable. I've had the card for like 4 years so I guess it's about time for an upgrade anyways.

Sharkfood

First you might want to try removing the card physically and taking a can of compressed air to the card's fan & heatsink. Those 9800's have a tendency to get totally packed up with lint, dust and debris so it may simply be it's hitting overheat temperatures sitting idle as the heatsink is packed-up.

After a complete cleaning with a can of compressed air, re-seat the card and try installing the latest drivers from AMD/ATI for your operating system.
http://ati.amd.com/support/driver.html

Status
Not open for further replies.